What's new

Very interested in working in Japan and starting a new life.

UTPwniez

Registered
10 Feb 2017
Hello, friends! My name is Brandon Murata and I am very interested in moving to Japan for various purposes. I am a citizen of the U.S., born and raised in L.A.. I currently reside in Florida and I possess great knowledge of computers as I was an IT store manager for a computer repair shop in Bradenton FL. I've worked in many different fields, but my most proficient is what I listed above. I would love to have my plan solidified by the end of the year, so I understand that learning Japanese as soon as possible is/should be a requirement. I am half Japanese and half white, so you can see why I have a great interest in Japan. It's where 50% of me comes from! :] Anyway, I would very much appreciate any type of assistance in telling me my possibilities of getting a job out there in any type of field. I am a very motivated, dedicated, and hard working individual, so I am up for a challenge if necessary. I would also like to know if MMA is something that interests people in Japan? I am well trained and would absolutely love to start a training class out there and build up more confidence within individuals that desire it. I look forward to the conversation!

I appreciate everyone's time and I hope to see you awesome people of Japan in the near future!

Age?
Work experience?
Level of speaking, reading, writing Japanese? (most non-teaching jobs require JLPT 2)

Check out Career Cross.

P.S. This should have been posted in the work section of the Japan Practical part of this forum.

Age?
Work experience?
Level of speaking, reading, writing Japanese? (most non-teaching jobs require JLPT 2)

Check out Career Cross.

P.S. This should have been posted in the work section of the Japan Practical part of this forum.

I'm 26, and I listed my best work experience above. My Japanese language experience lacks right now, but as I stated, I'll be doing my best from now on to learn the language better. I posted it here because I'm not specifically looking for work at this moment, but trying to figure out my options and what I must do/should learn prior to my move there. I'm also very curious on if MMA (mixed martial arts) is desired out in Japan, or if it could be if it isn't currently. I appreciate your response!

Do you also have Japanese citizenship? If not, under what visa category do you intend to move to Japan? Do you meet the requirements for the visa?

Do you also have Japanese citizenship? If not, under what visa category do you intend to move to Japan? Do you meet the requirements for the visa?
I do not have Japanese citizenship. I would have to obtain a visa, but I'm not well informed on them. Any information regarding them would be appreciated.

I always wonder what percentage of people who move to Japan to live & work are still there after 10 years and happy with their life there. I was so crazy in love with Japan that at one time I thought about going AWOL from the Navy to live there. After a year & a half the love started to fade , by the end of the second year , I wanted to return to the US for all the things I missed.

I always wonder what percentage of people who move to Japan to live & work are still there after 10 years

I would imagine it is rather low. Few people remain more than about three years at the longest. The turnover rate among people who stay less than that is so high and their numbers so large that they really skew things, I suspect. If we just consider those who make it past the first five years and past their children reaching school age, the attrition rate probably drops drastically. Apropos of nothing....I've never met a single long-term foreign resident who came here with the slightest intention of being here long-term....and I've never met a person who intended to move here long-term who ended up coming at all.

and happy with their life

Well, that would have to cut it down a bit.

Your work experience as described consisted of only this for details. It doesn't say much:
"I possess great knowledge of computers as I was an IT store manager for a computer repair shop"

Do you have a degree in programming? (no degree, no work visa)
Have you worked in programming? How long? Doing what?
Those are the sorts of things I expected for an answer, and so will employers.

In addition to Mike's link, here's another one. And another. And one more.

trying to figure out my options and what I must do/should learn prior to my move there.
In a nutshell, if you want a job and don't have citizenship, you need a visa. Work visas for work, of course, but you can get part-time work on student visas, whether you study in college or at a language school.

To get the student visa, you have to prove you can pay all of the tuition.
To get the work visa, you need a bachelor's degree in a related field. Here's a link that shows what are the actual requirements. In the top right corner, select 英語 from the pull-down menu, then click the first gray button, and everything will be displayed in English only, not a mix of English and Japanese.

I'm also very curious on if MMA (mixed martial arts) is desired out in Japan
What do you mean by desired? I hope you don't think that everyone here practices MA. It's not like in the movies. If you have already gained some experience, you might consider a cultural activities visa, where you study more of that field under a master (who sponsors your visa), and you can work part-time.

Keep in mind that unless you teach English, most jobs will require a fairly high level of Japanese (JLPT 2, usually).

Back
Top Bottom