What's new

Verb conjugation のが, のは, and こと to nouns

Liuqahs15

後輩
13 Nov 2011
Hello everyone. I've been learning to use の and こと to convert nouns into their verb forms, but I'd like some better examples of how one would actually use these conjugations in real Japanese. I'd also like it if anyone had any insight to share about it.
So far, I know うたう means to sing, and うたうこと means singing, as in I like to sing うたうことがすきです. But I've read that こと and の can change the entire preceding clause into a noun itself. Is that true? Does that mean I could possible say: うたうのとわらうのとかくのがすきです. ("I like singing, laughing and writing")? Is that okay? Is there anything else I should know about this verbの/verbこと/verbは form? Could you give me a realistic example of using these forms? Nothing like "I like this, that and that" Or something you only hear in language classes or kindergarten, but something someone might actually say to you in real life, for a good reason.
Thanks a lot.

Hello everyone. I've been learning to use の and こと to convert nouns into their verb forms, but I'd like some better examples of how one would actually use these conjugations in real Japanese. I'd also like it if anyone had any insight to share about it.
So far, I know うたう means to sing, and うたうこと means singing, as in I like to sing うたうことがすきです. But I've read that こと and の can change the entire preceding clause into a noun itself. Is that true? Does that mean I could possible say: うたうのとわらうのとかくのがすきです. ("I like singing, laughing and writing")? Is that okay? Is there anything else I should know about this verbの/verbこと/verbは form? Could you give me a realistic example of using these forms? Nothing like "I like this, that and that" Or something you only hear in language classes or kindergarten, but something someone might actually say to you in real life, for a good reason.
Thanks a lot.
That's one of the frequently asked questions in this forum.

koto | Japan Forum

Wow! Both those links are exactly what I was looking for. ありがとうございます!あなたたちわだいすきです!

Wow! Both those links are exactly what I was looking for. ありがとうございます!あなたたちわだいすきです!
Even though I feel bad correcting seeing as I'm a beginner,

あなたたちだいすきです。 :)

Ganbatte kudasai, fellow learner! 🙂

haha sorry about that. That always happens when I type in Japanese. As long as I don't do that in my writing, I don't mind it.

あなたたちだいすきです。;-)

は acts as the contrasitive marker in that sentence, meaning "I like you two, but dislike others" or like that.
The は・が issue is tough indeed, isn't it?;-)

Back
Top Bottom