What's new

Vending Machines for EVERYTHING

SalaryMan

先輩
1 Sep 2003
Throughout my stay in japan I have seen some really bizzar vending machines. Just wondering if any others have seen something that I havn't. Anyway here's a list of what I can remeber:

Ofcourse we have the usual tabacco , and softdrink and beer.

Grapes - You pay 500 yen and the door opens , push a button infront of the compartment that the grapes you want are in and viola! vended grapes!

Milk - Same system as above

Oranges - same as above

Batterys - Is it just me or are these machines often VERY old and rusting?

Adult videos and DVD - Always hidden behind a wall and the machine's window is usualy a kind of non-transparent plastic sheet ( you can only see through by looking STRAIGHT at it , not from an angle ) Over 18 years of age only.

Used underware - This has been covered in another section. Alhough i don't remeber this being marked at "over 18s only"

Condom vending machines - Now you may not think this is anything strange. And you're right ... It isn't .. But the locations they are in IS! usualy out in public ... right where a crowed of people can observe you making the choice between ribbed or scented.. very un-nerving.

Printer cartridges - For the popular printers only ( costs alot more than normal )

"Smoke" vending machines - Not your usual , these machines are set up in some areas like shinjuku ( across from station ) .. they vend "natural , legal alternatives" to Marijuana ( NOT MARIJUANA IT'S SELF!) . I've only seen one actually .

Hehe they are some of the strangest i've seen . Anyone else seen something I havn't ?

I've seen egg ones. I've always been curious if they crash down like soda cans LOL

also vegetable (carrots, onions etc... has a nice selection) and rice vending machines.
;)

Sounds like you've pretty much covered it. There was a panty hose vending machine in Nikko but last time I was there it had disappeared. I've also seen flowers sold as well.

Yeah I don't know if I've seen a working battery vending machine, just old rusting ones.

It's not odd in Japan but I haven't seen hot canned drinks (& corn soup) sold anywhere else I've been.

Have you really seen used underwear with your own eyes? When & where? (Of course my interest is purely academic ; )

The panty vending machine is in a town called "hotaka" in nagano-ken. Nearest large landmark to it is a D2 store and a meat shop. Theres a set of 3 vending machines : 2 video 1 pantys. They are covered by a blue screen of metal at the side of the road. nzueda pointed out another weird one! eggs! hmm I'll have to try and find an egg vending machine sometime to see if they crash down. A couple I forgot to add:

Camera and film vending machines

USB hub vending machines

Originally posted by SalaryMan

Adult videos and DVD - Always hidden behind a wall and the machine's window is usualy a kind of non-transparent plastic sheet ( you can only see through by looking STRAIGHT at it , not from an angle ) Over 18 years of age only.

is theres a way to make sure kids dont buy those stuff?

You forgot beer and cheap sake.. right there on the street.. so obviously the legal drinking age is to be tall enough to put the coins in the slot..

Also the vending machines for cigarettes close after 11pm. This is so that children don't buy them.. huh.. most children are home and in bed by then and anyway, they can buy them during the day!!

Only in America !

I hear Colt and Smith&Wesson are coming out with HANDGUN vending machines for those times when you leave home without you piece. Just slip in your Master Card or Visa and pick your favorite 357 Mag - 44Mag or 9MM in standard blue or fancy chrome. You have to get your ammo from another machine to avoid legal complications!

"is theres a way to make sure kids dont buy those stuff"
the one i saw was only lit during the night, not visible during the day
their culture isn't as pretentiously tied up like it is over here regarding that (the bathhouses were unisex until macarthur flapped his big lips imor)
if a child is out on the street @ 11, they gonna do what they want anyway

Sarcastic American !

Hey Budd, I was just being crazy on the gun machine. People in America are crazy about guns, but I don't think we will see em in vending machines.

Frank

i was talking about something else
well, anyway, wal-mart makes it easy regardless w/out vending machines -- it's only a matter of time before they have them there

I thought the purpose of people having guns in the states was to defend thier house. Other than that the only viable reason for one to own a gun is for show.. So why of why do people own real hand grenades , Fully automatic guns , Bazookas and so on? Its not like they're going to throw a granade at the tresspaser or bazooka his car during the getaway.

no SalaryMan, its not for defend their home, if someone want bazookas and so on like you said, its mostly for collection (i guess). mothers in the states these days, wont allow any guns in their house because instead for protection, it will only hurt their children.
how about japanese ppl? they keep any weapon at home for protection?

Originally posted by SalaryMan
I thought the purpose of people having guns in the states was to defend thier house. Other than that the only viable reason for one to own a gun is for show..

That's one reason. Other common reasons are for sport (target shooting) and hunting.

So why of why do people own real hand grenades , Fully automatic guns , Bazookas and so on? Its not like they're going to throw a granade at the tresspaser or bazooka his car during the getaway.

I don't believe it's legal to own working grenades, fully automatic weapons or bazookas. People will get the disabled ones simply because they like them. Some people like cars, trains, anime or whatever. And some people like guns.

As for hurting children, more young children die in bathtubs each year than by gun accidents so many mothers are not so worried about it.

my brother collected guns before he got into trouble, don't know about now (not allowed anymore)
i never liked it, but really disliked it after he pointed one at me in an argument
that is why i am so choosy about who i am friends with

Back
Top Bottom