What's new

Veganism vs Japan?

Drop in the ocean

Hippie chick
18 Aug 2007
Hi people,
I'm absolutely fascinated with all things Japan, including the colourful and varied diet and Green Tea...mmm! Many of my beliefs also seem to run parallel with those of Buddhism, especially Veganism(I know Buddhists CAN eat meat if given to them as leftovers for alms, or meat that is not specifically killed and prepared for their consumption but most everyday people(i.e. not Monks/Nuns) buy their food, so this rules meat out).

It's quite possible that I may end up living in Japan one day but for now I'd like to try preparing and eating Japanese food here in England. My only concern is that by ommitting fish, I may not be getting all the nutrients I need. Is there other food out there than can make up for what I'd be lacking? Plus, how much Japanese food contains dairy produce(e.g. egg in noodles)? I have tried reverting to eating fish for the sake of my health but my conscience just wont allow it any more. So the bottom line question - Is there such a thing as a highly nutritious Vegan Japanese diet??
DITO :ramen:xxx

I am a vegetarian not because I can't eat meat, but because I hate plants!

Just kidding, maybe there are some books on this subject, sorry not to be of more help.:(

Yes, I've just spent the afternoon doing some research and it looks like Tofu's the way to go! Unfortunately, I've had some horrid experiences with the stuff and put myself right off of it. Many people have said that there is such a thing as nice-tasting Tofu and of nasty-tasting Tofu! Does anyone know of any brands that are particularly tasty? I know Cauldron Tofu is probably the worst thing I've ever tasted! :bikkuri:

xxx

I suppose it is possible to be vegetarian or vegan in Japan, but I suspect it would be extremely difficult. Eating out would almost be impossible. I know several people who made it through extreme dietary constrictions, but not without great difficulty. I also know a few people who resolved to be vegetarian for their time in Japan, and gave up within a week. Veganism is almost unheard of there.

Basics,
Miso soup does not use meat and a fish.
Raw materials of miso are a soy bean or wheat.
But 95% of dashis these ingrediants get added to consist of fish (bonito/mackerel...) flakes or meat extract. It's the same with practically every traditionally noodle-based/soup dish.

Though there are plenty of alternative recipes and vegetarian/Indian restaurants now in Japan. Especially in major cities and near temples. It isn't impossible. It's just that they are probably expensive and of course most of us can't eat out every night. :gohan:

Last edited:
Living in the States, and having switched over to vegetarianism a few years ago, I can tell you that one of my favorite places to eat is Osaka, our local Japanese restaurant. Standard fare when stopping by for lunch or dinner is Seaweed Salad topped with avocado, Vegetable Hibachi with Tofu, Asparagus & Avocado Rolls, and the simple Vegetable Roll. Miso Soup is ordered with every meal, and is a wonderful staple. Even the Bento Box is available with Tempura Veggies.

I don't know about Japan, but also am curious as to how you'll do there, since my wife and I plan on visiting sometime in the next 3 years.

As one of the above posters mentioned, Indian food is a great alternative, as they have some magnificent vegetarian dishes that are cultural staples in India.

Good luck, let us know of your successes and/or failures.

First time poster, btw, hello everyone!

Last edited:
I've heard of vegan restaurants in Tokyo, but never anywhere else (though I haven't travelled much in Japan, only living near Osaka and Kansai). I wouldn't be surprised, though, if Tokyo is extremely exceptional in having those pure-veggie places, and most probably 99.99% of the demand for them is from the expat crowd...

A few of my vegetarian friends only survived in Japan by pretending there wasn't fish stock in some dishes that they ate often (various noodle dishes, especially). Some other veggie friends thrived, but they mostly cooked for themselves.

Good luck! 🙂

I don't know about Japan, but also am curious as to how you'll do there, since my wife and I plan on visiting sometime in the next 3 years.

In the vast majority of Japanese restaurants in Japan there is almost no vegetarian food, unless you want a slab of warmed up tofu, a salad (remember to ask them to hold the bacon / shrimp / chicken) or chips / french fries. If you ask for the gorgeous-sounding dishes you can receive in an American Japanese restaurant you will be answered with bewildered looks and maybe some giggles.

And it gets worse: even things that look veggie, like Mexican tortillas, Italian pasta, or even traditional Japanese stuff like okonomiyaki, will probably contain chicken stock. As does just about any prepared meal, soup etc bought in a supermarket.

In Japanese cuisine there are lots of vegetarian recipes, but the Japanese seem to have mostly forgotten about them. Or they just prepare them with chicken stock.

On the bright side, the numerous Indian restaurants here are wonderful. And if you can persuade a Japanese person to prepare some traditional Japanese stuff without chicken stock, as I did in hospital here :) you're in for a treat. Especially tasty is veggie tempora, croquets (hold the bacon) and some lovely spicy tofu, daikon and egg dish that my g/friend rustles up for me (can't find it in any restaurants.) And I must add that if you can explain to restaurant staff that you'd like a certain dish without bacon / chicken / shrimp etc they'll try hard to help, although be prepared to be gawped or giggled at. And check out the 'Natural House' chain of supermarkets.

Here's a useful link:

Tokyo Vegetarian Guide: vegietokyo.com

Hmm, this seems like a big problem.

I've thought about visiting/moving to Japan in the near future, but my family and I are all vegan/vegetarian.

Here in the USA, there are a growing number of animal-free and organic products, but I don't think it's like that at all in Japan.

I would like some help on this too, from a vegan who's survived in Japan.

Cooking for oneself seems like a good plan, but I'm not sure if they carry certain products in Japanese grocery stores that don't have added animal products in them.

Hi, don't despair!
You can find organic/veggie or vegan food, but not in mainstream supermarkets. I mentioned Natural House. Besides organic veg, you can buy all sorts meat substitute products and other goodies, most of which can also be bought mail order from Tengu Natural Foods.

And in the Veggie Tokyo link I supplied you can find some good restaurants. My favourite is a small place in Kichijouji who's name I'm trying to remember. These places are extremely rare, but they can be found. And I'm doing my best to support them. The main problem is eating out with Japanese friends. I've only ever met one Japanese person who's had any idea about what it means to be a vegetarian. She's not veggie herself though of course :)

Cooking for oneself seems like a good plan, but I'm not sure if they carry certain products in Japanese grocery stores that don't have added animal products in them.
In the more internationally flavoured(!) supermarkets you can find enough animal-free *imported* ingredients for most cooking needs. Italian stuff seems to be the most widespread. It's the pre-prepared stuff in supermarkets/restaurants/cafes that'll be tainted with chicken/beef/pig stock. Even the 'vegetable and bean wrap' in Starbucks has beef stock in it :mad: / :banghead:

Back
Top Bottom