What's new

Valentine in Japan and white day

RockLee

Hullu
22 Apr 2004
Valentine's Day and White Day

On February 14, some Americans will celebrate this day of love with their significant other. America is not the only country to celebrate this holiday. Japan does it, but has adapted it to their lifestyle.

But of course there were a few changed along the way. Instead of exchanging gifts with your loved one, only women give presents, mainly chocolate to men. This is called giri choco, obligation chocolate. The Japanese concept of "giri" meaning duty or obligation, can mean buying a gift not just for the man closest to you but for every male with whom there's a familiar association: friends, co-workers, etc.

Both America and Japan start advertising in mid-January, with the main wave of advertising in the first two weeks of February. Japan focuses more on selling chocolate than cards, cupids, and flowers, like America. In Japan, department stores will dedicate large areas of their space to Valentine's Day presents. Since these stores are nowhere near the sizes of American stores, this is a significant part of the store just for chocolate.

In February, women give to men but in March, men give to women. This day is called White Day, a Japanese creation which is on March 14th. White Day is believed to have been introduced by a marshmallow manufacturing company in the 1960s. The white marshmallows gave its name but other kinds of presents have become more popular over the years. Since gift giving is so common in Japan, many confectionary companies also try and push White Day. White Day is not considered to be as popular as Valentine's Day, but the awareness of it is increasing. These two days are particular popular among younger people and single people, where as young married people are more likely to celebrate White Day instead of Valentine's Day.
Source: http://www.japanlink.com/en/article.asp?aid=84

So the Japanese have different usages of Valentine, and on March 14(White day) the men buy gifts/chocolates for the woman in exchange!Can anyone who experienced this tell me something more about it, or why it is done this way? :)

Beats me. I celebrate February 14th as Jack Benny's birthday. Doesn't everyone?

I usually spend March 14th in an ice rink at the provincial tournament. (It almost always takes place mid-march.) Doesn't everyone? :D

I have honestly never experience 'White Day' though I will soon. As far as I can guess, it's just another holiday invented by stores so they can make more money. And another day for us single people to sit and watch everybody else get stuff :eek:

I don't know, Valentines Day in Japan is pretty cool. Many of the girls either in your class or people who you work with brings in chocolate and gives it to their male classmates/workers. Speaking of "Giri Choco,"My Teacher was telling me that sometimes the girls only give chocolate to the guys they like, and so maybe some of the unpopular guys don't get any chocolate. That would have to be pretty depressing if you ask me. They have this other chocolate called, "Hon no Choco,"(at least I think that's what it's called), where it is some fine chocolate, meaning that it's not cheap stuff. I guess a guy giving this to a girl is one way to show that he likes this girl. Hopefully, the girl likes him too, otherwise I guess he just threw his money out the window. For White day, the roles are reversed and the guys give the girls white chocolate. I got some chocolate on Valentines day, so I guess I'm not too much of an outcast. :)

Oh god, the traffic around stores and train stations during these two days is just ridiculous. Chocolate everywhere. A girl gave all of the guys in my class giri choco...homemade stuff too. I've heard about women spending tons of money and making lists trying to get their obligations taken care of with this stuff...leave it Japan to take a manufactured "holiday" and make it even crazier.

the day after valentines day in Japan is the official "face full of zits so i'm not going to friggin school!"-day :D

These two days are also another pitfall in Japanese/foreigner relationships.

My ex was Japanese, but lived in Canada.

Strongly hinted she wanted to play the western way for Valentines. Eg we give each other gifts. Fair enough. I bought her a really nice book of nursery rhymes (shes in college doing kindergarten teaching) she gave me shirts.

Thought that was it. I'm free on white day.

I was wrong. She was expecting stuff on white day. :D

It's quite different over here.
Valentine's day is quite unimportant over here. The only thing that happens is that men give some flowers (usually roses) to their beloved ones on Valentine's days, and that's it. Florist shops start advertising Valentine's day at the beginning of February.
White Day doesn't exist - March 14th is just a day like any other day.

Really want to spend Valentine in Japan. Personal experience could be a great help for widen then scope of viewing Japan. ^^, besides I may have a chance to......

I want to be in Japan for both these days but my exchange program misses both days by like five days!!! damn it!!!

Back
Top Bottom