What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Using だけ (dake) in negative sentences

nakamiganai

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am a little confused over the usage of だけ and しか. On MaggieSensei (here's the link, I hope I'm able to post it: How to use しか & だけ ( shika & dake) & だけしか ( = dakeshika) – Maggie Sensei I read that you can use だけ in a negative sentence, like here:

この漢字だけ読めない。(Kono kanji dake yomenai) = I can’t read just this kanji.

This is all good and well, but I was wondering if there was a way of saying "It's not like I can read only this kanji" (which means "I can read MORE than this one kanji") using the same だけ (or しか) structure, so that the negative verb would NEGATE the だけ instead of working together with it to make the negative sentence ("I can't read"). Would this sentence work?

この漢字だけ読める事がない (kono kanji dake yomeru koto ga nai)

I am looking for the Japanese equivalent of "It's not like I can only read this kanji", so is this Japanese sentence it, and if no, what does it mean?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
この漢字だけ読める事がない means "No matter how hard I try, I always can't read only this kanji" or along the line. You need to negate the whole sentence for "It's not like I can only read this kanji" with using expressions such like わけではない, which corresponds to "it's not like".
e.g.
この漢字だけ読めるわけではない
この漢字しか読めないわけではない

Top Bottom