What's new

Usage of: 真面目 ~( まじ(で) ) maji (de) ?

yukio_michael

後輩
8 Mar 2005
Often I found when saying 'maji de', or, 'seriously?' 'really?', to Japanese they were surprised by my use of the word. I've seen it used in some movies, and I learned it from my girlfriend.

maji, or maji de, comes from the word 真面目(majime), meaning serious, diligent, honest... but it's coloquial usage maji ?? is similar in usage to honto ni?

I'm wondering if anyone else uses this word, how casual it is, how appropriate it is to use with casual friends, et cetera.

thanks!

「マジで!?」is not really a polite thing to say, as should only be used amongst friends I think. The polite version should be something like 「本当(ほんとう)ですか?」 (is that true?) or 「そうですか?」 (is that so?).

I always say 「ほんま?」 instead, which is 関西弁(かんさいべん)(kansai-accent). :p

「マジで?!」 is a pretty casual word, I think. As leonmarino said, it's only used among friends or people you know really well.

まじで was one of the first words I looked up on alc.co.jp. The result was kinda funny:

• まじで
    for real
  • 本当?/まじで?/冗談でしょ? ;〈豪〉
    Fair dinkum, mate?

The kanji for ほんま is 本真, if you're wondering.

XD I don't think you'd ever hear "Fair dinkum, mate" in real life...except maybe in Australia...

In 九州 they say まじっすか、Maybe more Fukuoka :p
Didn't hear much last year in Tokyo, but I may have just not been paying attention.

Damicci said:
Didn't hear much last year in Tokyo, but I may have just not been paying attention.
「っす」は「です」の別の言い方ですからね。:) 方言じゃないでしょう。
どういうわけか、それはスポーツ界の中では特に使われると思うけど、口語的に、親しい仲でも
使えるでしょう。

Damicci said:

It is not a dialect of Fukuoka.😅
「まじすっかぁ」は「本当ですか?」
「まじで」を尊敬語化しようとした造語。
主に、頭の足りない人が使います。
チンピラなどが使います。

Often I found when saying 'maji de', or, 'seriously?' 'really?', to Japanese they were surprised by my use of the word. I've seen it used in some movies, and I learned it from my girlfriend.
maji, or maji de, comes from the word 真面目 majime), meaning serious, diligent, honest... but it's coloquial usage maji ?? is similar in usage to honto ni?
I'm wondering if anyone else uses this word, how casual it is, how appropriate it is to use with casual friends, et cetera.
thanks!

Depends on a sense of 'distance'.
Even a student say it to his teacher.
-"You must practice kanji 50 times per 1 kanji."
-"maji(de)?"

Back
Top Bottom