What's new

Upcoming AEON interview

Alik

後輩
10 Jun 2008
I have an upcoming interview with AEON in a few weeks and I already have a lesson plan pretty much good to go with some minor tweaks here and there. I just had a few questions regarding the interview:

During the lesson I have some lessons that require directions (can i give directions in english even though theyre supposed to be basic level students?)

i had a couple of ideas for games: first one is memory (fairly easy to explain so not too worried on that game) I was going to have a game where students look at the pictures and I select an object and will ask "What color is the <object>?" i figured this would help reinforce the color lesson as well as introduce new vocabulary, I would point to what i refer to to help the students.

Also I heard there is a test we are given, and ive heard its very basic but i havent heard anything beyond that. Can anyone give me more info on this test? What does it cover (im assuming grammar) and how does it cover it? (multiple choice? how are the questions formed?)

I took the ECC test and i think i passed I heard its that hardest of them all (still didnt get the job:/)

I'd really appreciate any advice I can get on the interview. I've had TESOL certification so ive been relying on that and a mix of other things to form my lesson plan. I decided to make my lesson on Color (this was the 3rd topic i settled on but i feel VERY positive about this topic so i'm going to stick with it)

oh and also interesting I applied to the Chicago office and lnaded the interview but a week later the NY office also contacted me and offered me an interview :O (no i didn't apply to the NY office)
I took both of them as if i fail the chicago one i want to take what i learned to NY and hopefully land my dream job.^^

I would suggest posting this on the ESL Cafe web site. You'll get more teachers responding.

For more advice on lesson plans for kids, you might want to look at the ETJ Activities listserv on Yahoo.

It's an immersion school, so the lesson should be in English.

The test is about 5 questions at the end of a long questionaire.

The other applicants will be your "students", so they should be able to follow your lesson ;)

Other applicants or even staff may be your "students", but they are asked to act like real ones that DON'T understand the lesson.

thanx for the heads up guys, as far as the english i use im going to say things like: "what color is this?" "what color is the ****" etc what im worried about most is how I am going to express the memory game's rules it will be 7 colors and 7 cards with the correct word on them

it might actually be pretty self explanatory but if you guys have any tiips on working it in i'd appreciate it

I spent two years working at AEON.

I think the best rule for your interview is to keep the lesson as simple as possible with minimal instructions.

Your idea sounds good, but 'colors' is something you'll never end up teaching at AEON as pretty much everyone knows them already.

Here is my suggestion for a really easy variant of the "memory" game that is virtually self explanatory and always a hit.

Make about 30 cards. On 15 of them, write adjectives. Then on the other 15 write the opposite of whatever adjectives you wrote on the first. (ie "hot" and "cold").

At the start of the lesson you can just go over any difficult words you've chosen to make sure they know the vocab (unless you use something really hard they'll know it). Then just spread all the cards face down on the table and they play "memory" by turning over a card and then trying to find the opposite.

This takes probably 5-10 minutes and is both simple and fun for the students. Then you can use the adjectives they've learned in any further activities/lesson you have.

thnx for the input but are you saying i should toss the entire colors lesson completely? I chose colors for the fiarly simple directions i could give, if i chose adjectives I dont even know how i would explain that without going way over the students' heads. the lesson plan i have now goes for about 10-15 min (tested it with my family lastnight) I figured I should need a second part of the lesson, and im not sure what logicly follows colors. when i initially made the lesson plan with different topics the 2nd lesson was always verb tenses (past present and future) I figured id make a lesson plan and throw it in. I'd never actually get to that point before the lesson finished, but my problem is that I dont think it makes sense that tenses follow colors. Maybe teach nouns? (probably way too complex on directions) its not like color where i can say it and point to the correct color. What would be a good lesson to follow colors with? and if colors really are a bad idea what should they be replaced with?

For the purposes of the interview, the colors idea sounds fine. You seemed to have some doubts about it so I suggested the adjectives as an alternative, but if you are confident with the colors then I'm sure you'll do well.

No need to worry, it seems way more daunting while preparing than it actually will be.

Bear in mind that AEON students already have a substantial background in English from the public education system. So don't worry too much about the language/vocab being over their head. When they recommend keeping it "simple" they are mainly worried about the simplicity of the instructions needed to explain the activity.

With the adjectives game, you certainly don't need to explain what an "adjective" is. THe lesson is just whatever vocabulary you are using. Then after the game you introduce some simple sentence ("That is a tall building", etc).

If you keep the words simple (hot/cold; happy/sad; tall/short etc etc) its pretty certain that the students would already know these words and any they don't can easily be explained through gestures (this is why I go with adjectives, it is easy to for example demonstrate the meaning of "tall" vs. "short" via gestures).

Anyway, good luck to ya.

I chose colors for the fiarly simple directions i could give, if i chose adjectives I dont even know how i would explain that without going way over the students' heads.
You are going to be hard-pressed to find a simpler topic.

Back
Top Bottom