What's new

Unknown old Japanese document

tomjan

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering if someone can help me with a document I've inherited lately. I have no idea whats written on it. Please take a look and If you can understand it, let me know. Thanks

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
Attendance certificate from a private kindergarten, given to Fusako Shimura (born December 6, 1933) for attendance between March 1938 and March 1940. Signed by "A.O. McCloud" March 22, 1940. I think the name of the kindergarten was "Kyounan Kindergarten".

How on earth did this end up where you are?

They still exist. Here is their homepage:

創立 峡南幼稚園

It is a Christian kindergarten started by Canadian Methodist missionaries in April 1932.

I bet they would be pleased to have this item, as for them it might be of historical interest.

Last edited:

tomjan

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your fast response. It belonged to my uncle, he collected WO2 Japanese stuff. I think he acquired this together with another paper item. I've posted the picture. It would be logical that it came together with the certificated. Very interesting. Greetings Tom

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
The second one is just a listing of people who brought/donated items to some kind of event. It has their names, their town, and what they gave. (Peaches, candy, flowers, etc.). I can't make out the right side so I can't tell exactly what was going on.

I'm afraid like a lot of the "WWII" Japanese things we are asked to translate, it probably has nothing whatsoever to do with the war or the Japanese military.

Do these have any sentimental value to you? If not, I would like to encourage you to consider donating the certificate back to the kindergarten.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
The second document/book is 香資受帳, more commonly known as 香典帳; the list of condolence money/gift in a funeral ceremony. The date of the ceremony was December 23 1941, and the left column on the cover of the book shows the Buddhist name of the deceased (護国院忠岳??居士). (It's important to keep this record since the bereaved family need to send a gift in return for them, and also need to give the condolence money back to them when they (or their family) die.) Thus, those two documents have nothing to do with each other (well, at least directly).