What's new

University Survey for Native Japanese Speakers

Mittens

後輩
10 Feb 2013
Hello JREF!

My name is Evan and I am a current student at the University of Washington. I am enrolled in a Japanese Linguistics class and am looking for a few native Japanese language speakers to take a survey about popular expressions and slang (流行語と若者言葉) in Japanese language. The survey is quite short and asks about 10 specific expressions (if you recognize them and can explain their meaning) as well as 3-5 expressions that you come up with which were not on the list. If you feel inclined to do so, please take a look at the attached pictures of the assignment and post your responses here. よろしくお願いします!

Attachments

• img002.jpg
    img002.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 138
  • img003.jpg
    img003.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 146
Mine is a short reply:
Origin: Kanto

I know all the expressions on the list and know what they mean. I think they've become very common that most people who read newspaper and watch TV know.

Examples of new words and expressions:

イクメン: Combination of 育児 (raising kids) + man
Refers to men who participate actively family life and caring of kids.

友チョコ: Valentine chocolate handed to "friends"
You may already know but Valentine Day in Japan is the day when women give chocolates to men. 本命チョコ is given to someone who already is or hopefully to be your boyfriend. 義理チョコ is given usually to men in your work environment as token of friendship or respect.
"Tomo-choco" is a new practice of giving chocolates to girl friends.

美魔女: Mature woman who is very attractive. I think this term is just something used among women for flattery and "self-praise" and will eventually disappear..

Back
Top Bottom