What's new

Universal Studios Japan

mad pierrot

I jump to conclusions
22 Nov 2003
A waste of time and money...?

Recently, I went with my students on school trip there. USJ, as it's affectionately called, was popular with everyone, from the principal down to the freshmen. I'm not much for theme parks to begin with, but I thought USJ was particularly bad. What amazes me is that so many people like it. I've teachers who have been there 4-5 times and can't get enough of it. Just about every Japanese girl I've ever known is infatuated with it. Any theories as to why? It's certainly not cheap. (I paid 3,500 yen just to get in, roughly $35.00 American.) The rides are (in general) horrible with long waits. Food is equally over-priced and not all that great. Yet none-the-less it seems as popular as it was 3 years ago, if not more. Is it the Japanese love for "cuteness?" (a.k.a Snoopy land and cheap E.T. paraphernalia?)

A few pics from my visit.
(I'll admit the dancers were interesting. Afros and some short shorts in winter!)

Attachments

• mystudents.jpg
    mystudents.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 129
  • streets.jpg
    streets.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 87
  • verycolddancers.jpg
    verycolddancers.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 101
The Picture In The Center......

looks just like Portland, Maine. Same building! Now I know what they do with them when they tear them down, recycle them to Japan.

Frank

😊

I loved it (no theme parks here laddy), i was there I think the 3rd of January 2004. Went on the Jurassic Park ride 2wce (got soaked through hehe), the Terminator thing was fun (cool with the 3d and live actors, arnie could have been a bit more buff :D). The Jaws ride was amusing (you ever seen a real great white? I have, scary things) and the food in the restaurant attached to it whilst being expensive was good quality and very tasty (I had chicken and chips).

Highlight for me was Waterworld. I loved the movies and always wondered why they flopped and thought that that whole area of the park was well done.

As for the crowds and lines, meh, its Japan. You ever been to Disneyland on a sunday? :)

http://users.on.net/~tjapple/photo/osaka/FL060007.JPG - ITS COLD!
http://users.on.net/~tjapple/photo/osaka/FL060009.JPG - Best photo of me in existance

*shrugs* None of that sounds or looks too much different from Universal Orlando--both Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. I'm not huge on coasters or anything, so I enjoy Spiderman, Jurrasic Park (although I had a panic attack on it my second time), and Men In Black more than any other ride. JAWS was cute the first time, Kongfrontation sucked, Earthquake was okay once you got to actually see stuff and Twister was boring as hell. Back to the Future gave me whiplash and seriously bothered my inner ear/equilibrium/balance disorder (which Spiderman leaves alone, thankfully), and Dueling Dragons (the only fullfledged roller coaster I've ever been on) literally had me crying for my chiropractor afterwards.

God, I love those two parks. :D

You should see the one @ Universal City, California.
MY GOD!!! Can it be any more boring?!!!!
The 'rides' don't always have super long lines, but even short lines are not worth the wait. As for jaws.....I've seen the real thing - there's is a toy.
And yeah, the food is waaaay over-priced.

Back
Top Bottom