What's new

Help United Nations University - Questions

hungnq

後輩
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I have just received the letter of acceptance from United Nations University - Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability for my Master's degree. My problem is that the tuition fee is quite high as compared to other public universities in Japan, and I am not sure that there are any other scholarships or financial assistance I can apply for via university recommendation after enrolling in the course of study. I am quite confused because this university may be not a "Japanese university", so is the chance of getting a scholarship lower?

If anyone here is going to UNU this September or already there, I really need your advice.

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
Have you already tried to contact them directly?

Scholarships and Funding - United Nations University

Financial Support
Some degree programmes may offer tuition waivers for students with outstanding academic records, who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance. Prospective students should inquire with the admissions office for the programme to which they are applying to learn more about opportunities for financial support. Please keep in mind that financial support is limited and selection is highly competitive. UNU is unfortunately unable to provide financial support to all applicants. Applicants are encouraged to seek funding from outside sources; this may include, home country governments, private foundations and international funding agencies.

Scholarships
A limited number of scholarships are awarded to outstanding applicants. Scholarship opportunities vary for each degree programme and requests should be submitted with the programme application documents. For more information about the scholarships available for a specific programme, please visit the UNU institute website associated with the programme. If you have more detailed questions, please contact the focal point for the degree programme directly. Contact information for each programme is located on the programme description page.

hungnq

後輩
Reaction score
Have you already tried to contact them directly?

Scholarships and Funding - United Nations University
Thank you for your reply.
Let me explain it a bit clearer. When I sent my application, I was automatically under consideration of two types of scholarship (JFUNU and JEES). However, when they sent me the letter of acceptance, they did not mention whether I was awarded schorlarship or not.
Therefore, I wrote to them as follows:
"When will the result of JFUNU and JEES scholarships be released? And how is the chance of being granted other scholarships such as JASSO and so on, via university recommendation?
In case I fail to earn any scholarship, is there any policy of providing tuition discount to international students at UNU
?"
then they gave me a short answer: "Please kindly note that there is no scholarship available for you. You have to pay 10,000 USD at the beginning of each semester as the tuition fees and require to secure the funds for living expense."

I am really confused of their answer. Does they mean I have no chance of getting any other scholarships even after enrolling in the course? This is weird because if I have to resort to other sources of scholarship such as JASSO, it also requires recommendation from the host uni. What's more, as far as I know each institute in Japan may have various sources of scholarship from private companies or organizations and they will recommend to their students after certain time, one or two semesters.

hungnq

後輩
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.
Let me explain it a bit clearer. When I sent my application, I was automatically under consideration of two types of scholarship (JFUNU and JEES). However, when they sent me the letter of acceptance, they did not mention whether I was awarded schorlarship or not.
Therefore, I wrote to them as follows:
"When will the result of JFUNU and JEES scholarships be released? And how is the chance of being granted other scholarships such as JASSO and so on, via university recommendation?
In case I fail to earn any scholarship, is there any policy of providing tuition discount to international students at UNU
?"
then they gave me a short answer: "Please kindly note that there is no scholarship available for you. You have to pay 10,000 USD at the beginning of each semester as the tuition fees and require to secure the funds for living expense."

I am really confused of their answer. Does they mean I have no chance of getting any other scholarships even after enrolling in the course? This is weird because if I have to resort to other sources of scholarship such as JASSO, it also requires recommendation from the host uni. What's more, as far as I know each institute in Japan may have various sources of scholarship from private companies or organizations and they will recommend to their students after a certain time like one or two semesters.

Glenski

Just me
Reaction score
They seemed to answer the question you posed about those specific scholarships. No go.

If there are any other, it's not up to them to suggest any. You find them on your own, or you forgo getting a student visa, which requires that you provide proof of being able to pay tuition.

hungnq

後輩
Reaction score
They seemed to answer the question you posed about those specific scholarships. No go.

If there are any other, it's not up to them to suggest any. You find them on your own, or you forgo getting a student visa, which requires that you provide proof of being able to pay tuition.
Thank you very much for your answer.
Now I guess what they meant "No" here was to ensure that I am able to pay tuition to get VISA. Actually tuition fee itself is not really a big problem for me, but when it comes to the total expense including housing or food, that matters.
I understand that before I enroll in this course, it is my responsibility to find financial support myself. But after one or two semester, the university usually suggests and recommends some to their students (according to what I heard from my seniors). Therefore, their affirmative answer "no scholarship available for you" really made me confused (and hopeless). My main question here is: "Will they recommend?"

Glenski

Just me
Reaction score
"Recommend" financial support? Or recommend you for a student visa? You meet a school's criteria for entry, and they can accept you, but they still have to know you can support yourself before they cosign for your visa application.