What's new

UNESCO heritage bid challenged over gender bias

gender discrimination...

dont worry, if it's wort it, it will be recognized by the UNESCO - WCH.

cultural discrimination never comes into mind and/or discussion in this department and will never be an argument.

No worries Hachiko, everything is fine.

i think it will be recognized, but i also wonder too if the ban is really religious in nature or whether its more of a tradition with women being seen as a distraction or sex objects. the argument about how the tradition was changed to let all men in regardless of aestic training makes me lean a bit towards the latter, but who knows? hmmmm..

to ashuri2

yes, your point of view is interesting and can be discussed, but what it is all about is simpler :

Keep in today's world what was yesterday's world. Just to remeber it as an example to follow... or not to follow.

Ancestors have been there before us ( ho ? Yes ? lol ! ) and "their light is behind us to light up the way ahead of us, today"

ascate said:
yes, your point of view is interesting and can be discussed, but what it is all about is simpler :

Keep in today's world what was yesterday's world. Just to remeber it as an example to follow... or not to follow.

Ancestors have been there before us ( ho ? Yes ? lol ! ) and "their light is behind us to light up the way ahead of us, today"

true, but its not really yesterday's world because now they let all men go up. that's more my point. its hard for them to make a point about tradition when they sorta broke it themselves. either way, it doesn't matter.

to ashuri2 (and all others too, of course)

What's up ?
you seem rather pessimistic, no ? Or am I wrong ?
rules are made to be broken. sometimes it's good and open the door to progress, some other times it's bad. but it can also bring progress.
whatever, UNESCO WCH is here to preserve, not to judge. That will be done by mankind, in the long run.

ascate said:
What's up ?
you seem rather pessimistic, no ? Or am I wrong ?
rules are made to be broken. sometimes it's good and open the door to progress, some other times it's bad. but it can also bring progress.
whatever, UNESCO WCH is here to preserve, not to judge. That will be done by mankind, in the long run.

i'm not pessimistic, that was my point exactly. it doesn't matter because preserving the site's cultural/historical significance has little to do with the controversy. i was replying to your own comment about tradition. :eek:

ascate said:

But keep in mind that our ancestors lived in a less enlightened and less developed world as today (education, media, culture, freedom...). That is why I would never trust the opinion of so called "ancestors" in today's world.

ancestors ? too late !

That is why I would never trust the opinion of so called "ancestors" in today's world said maciamo.

You are right, because no one can ask them for their opinion, they are probably all dead by now. If not, they are very close to passe away quickly discovering what's going on today...

No, what the chinese philosopher meant was : their experience, not opinion. Experience can be of some value if one is wise enough to adapt it in today's world.

ashuri2 said:
i'm not pessimistic, that was my point exactly. it doesn't matter because preserving the site's cultural/historical significance has little to do with the controversy. i was replying to your own comment about tradition. :eek:

ok, I'm getting your point !

Back
Top Bottom