What's new

Understanding and effectively using adverbial nouns

CraigglesO

Registered
Reaction score
私は平仮名を全部読めます

Notice 全部 (zenbu = all/entire/etc.) is an adverbial noun. Crazy enough in the 6 months of studying Japanese I guess I have been studying simplified sentence structures. But Google showed pretty much nothing about adverbial nouns and very little on adjectival-nouns. Maybe it's just not a common occurrence.

Can anyone shed light on this subject? I understand it's modifying the verb 'read', I just don't understand how to utilize this grammatical phenomenon myself. :p

Thanks,
Craiggles.

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
What materials have you been using?

CraigglesO

Registered
Reaction score
What materials have you been using?
Hmm, ANKI Japanese core 2000. The one where they speak it/hiragana/katakana/English. It's amazing. I believe I'm growing rapidly. And I'm using tae Kim's grammar guide but that has no information. Also, I'm using "Japanese the manga way". I've figured out a lot of grammar thus far but this sentence came up in anki and I was like, WHAAAAAT?!?!? Haha. Soet, I'm replying on my phone because I'm out. Any help would be appreciated. Even books I could buy. I have seriously invested myself into japanese. Been studying every day for 6 months now as I said before. I just feel like I get hit with curveballs left and right with this language.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
In Japanese grammar, adverbial noun(副詞的名詞) often refers to conjunctions to make an adverbial clause/phrase with a modifying verb, adjective or clause, e.g., ところ, ため, 限り or 途端. It's not so commonly used, though.

全部 is an adverb in your example sentence, and a noun in, for instance, 私は全部の平仮名が読めます. "All" is an adjective in "All the people are happy", an adverb in "I'm all wet", and a noun in "I lost my all" also in English, no?

nekojita

先輩
Reaction score
I've always thought of this structure as equivalent to the two ways you can use counters:

猫を3匹飼ってます。
3匹の猫を飼ってます。

Instead of number + counter, you can put in things like たくさん etc - most of the ones that come to mind are related to measurement. The tricky ones are things like 多く ・ 遠く which look like the adverbial form of 多い ・ 遠い but 多くのX etc are acceptable and if you look in a dictionary you'll find a separate listing for these forms which show they're both nouns and adverbs (as opposed to other similar looking forms like 長く).