What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Question Understanding ということで

zuotengdazuo

後輩
Reaction score
1.『......わかったわよ。一応観測機を回してみるわ。それ以降のことは、その結果如何ってことで文句ないわね?』

Context: 士道 believed his classmate 折紙 was a 精霊 and reported this to 琴里, the speaker, hoping 琴里 would send people to investigate 折紙. 琴里 didn’t believe 士道at first but gave in to 士道’s request at last.

2.「とりあえず今のところは、様子見ってことでいいんじゃねーですかね。幸か不幸か父様母様も今いねーですし、部屋も余ってやがりますしね」

Context: the protagonist picked up a girl on his way home, brought the girl to his home and asked his sister if they could adopt the girl. Then the sister said the above sentence.

3. 夕弦。耶倶矢を「動」とするなら「静」のキャラということで設定した君だったが、いつの間にか耶倶矢よりもナチュラル中二な上に、肉食なキャラになっていた。

Context: This text appears in あとがき. The writer is commenting on one of the characters he invented as if he was talking to her. 耶倶矢 is designed to be “active” while 夕弦 is designed to be “silent”.

Hi. How should I understand ということで as a whole? What is the function of the of ってこと(ということ) in these examples?

Thank you.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
I don't think ~ということで is a set expression or something. In fact, there is not huge difference in meaning even if ~ということ is removed.
cf.
それ以降のことは、その結果如何で文句ない
様子見でいいんじゃねー
耶倶矢を「動」とするなら「静」のキャラで設定した君だった

で is a particle to indicate 期限・限度・基準・原因・根拠 in those examples. As for #2, it also can be a variation of ~でいい (e.g. コーヒーでいい vs. コーヒーがいい).

zuotengdazuo

後輩
Reaction score
Thank you. I see.
How about this example?
「その前に全員で辞職してくれても構わない。いずれにせよ、再就職の面倒は<ラタトスク>が見てくれるということで話を付けてある」

Is this ということで the same usage (限度・範囲) as my op examples, except that this ということ can’t be omitted?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Yes. It might be 原因・根拠, though. And also yes for ということ can't be omitted. It's because 見てくれる is a verb, as you might know.

Top Bottom