What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Type Japanese in Windows

bautroibaola

後輩
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm using Input Language Tool in Windows to type Japanese (type by romaji). But I see that this input method is very slow and some case I cannot type (type hiragana above kanji character).
So, anyone who lived or worked with Japanese know Japanese use what method to type Japanese, please show for me!
Thanks!

Thorham

Computer nerd
Reaction score
This is probably not very useful, but here goes any way :)

My guess is that they use Japanese keyboards in Japan in combination with the Windows IME system, because it might be more usable with a Japanese keyboard than, say, an English keyboard. I must warn you that I don't know this for a fact.

Example of a Japanese keyboard:

jp106.jpg

epigene

相変わらず不束者です
Reaction score
Japanese input in romaji is the "mainstream" method in Japanese word processing. Although the hiragana input method is faster, most people do not learn how to do it, because the keyboard use is entirely different from the alphanumerical layout. I've only seen data input professionals use it but not among "regular folks," Japanese or otherwise.

Japanese language input is the same for both Japanese and non-Japanese Windows, so long as the Japanese language pack is installed. (Necessary for XP but included in Vista.) Keyboard setup may be different, but adjustments can be made on the Language option in your Control Panel. In short, no need to get Japanese OS or keyboard.

Issues related to Japanese language input are discussed here:
How to Type Japanese

If you're talking about adding small hiragana characters over kanji (adding "rubi") for greater ease in Japanese kanji reading for the reader, it is not the function of Japanese IME. AFAIK, you need word processing software such as Microsoft Office (Word).

The thread has been moved to "Learning Japanese."

Added:

Rubi tags appear to be possible in html, which is visible on IE but not other browsers. The discussion is here:
Ruby function discussed at Teach Yourself Japanese

Last edited:
Top Bottom