What's new

Two verbs?

Seppuku

先輩
26 Aug 2003
I know that the verb goes at the end of the sentence like すしは食べている
but what if you have two verbs like "I payed to ride on the ride" the two verbs being "payed" and "ride" or would there only by one verb "ride" since that's what you are doing at that time? either way how would you say something like that?

Well, I'm sure someone who knows for sure will come and answer. But, I figure I'd give it a guess and see how I do.

My guess would be something like

電車をしてに一枚を買ってください。

densha o shite ni ichimai o katte kudasai.

Buy a ticket to ride the train.

Two verbs here being buy and do (ride)

I probably am not saying it right, because I'm a beginner to but i figured I'd try until someone came with the right answer.

I assumed you meant like an amusement ride, in which case the simplest literal translation would be some variation on these :

遊園地の乗り物に乗るためにお金を払いました。

Or

乗り物料金を払って乗りました。

But of course these both sound totally unnatural, in Japan like anywhere you'd be saying something like the amount you paid or the ticket price to get on since they're obviously never free.

I think I know what you're getting at. In a sentence with 2 verbs, you can use the no normalizer.

Example:
I helped my friend to carry her bag
watashi ha tamodachi ga nimotsu wo hakubu no wo tetsudaimashita

I saw Mr yamanaka walking with a lady
yamanaka san ga onna no hito to aruite iru no wo mimashita

using no normalizer, subject is always marked by ga

These examples are from the book "Total Japanese - Grammar and Conversation Notes" page 167

Another 2 examples from the book:

Mr. Kitagawa gave up going to Canada to study
kitagawa san ha kanada ni ryuufaku suru no wo yamemashita

I often forget to bring my homework
watashi ha yoku shukudai wo mottekuru no wo wasuremasu

Based on the examples above, I don't know exactly when to enforce the ga though. Maybe someone can help here.

Back
Top Bottom