What's new

Two super-short sentences

Kojiro Sasaki

後輩
8 Sep 2013
Hi,
I need to translate the following sentences. I need them for the project I'm working on.

1. This compilation contains music from <TV series> and from 13 <title> theatrical movies.

List of the words I selected:
収集 - collection
含む - contains
音楽 - music
から - from
十三 - 13
劇場版 - theatrical movie

2. All <TV series title> music from <release title> was re-released on <release title>.

List of the words I selected:
全ての<TV series title>劇伴 - All <TV series title> background music.
から - from
された - was
再発売 - re-released
で - on

I appreciate any help you can provide.

So, what is your translation? (Note that to translate each word individually doesn't work well, especially for particles.)

So, what is your translation? (Note that to translate each word individually doesn't work well, especially for particles.)
1. このCD収集で<TV series>そして十三劇場版組曲含む。

2. 全てのドラゴンボールZ劇伴の<release name>から、<release name>で再発売されていた。

3. このCD収集で第4作–第10作<title>劇場版組曲含む。*

* - "This collection contains music suites from 4-10 <title> theatrical movies."

1) 3)
収集 refers to "collection" as an action, not the collected things/works.

The collection is the topic of the sentence. It's treated as the location of existence(where the collected songs exist), not the subject of "to contain", in the Japanese sentence structure.

組曲 refers to a music term "suite".

2)
I've never heard 劇伴. Even though it's actually entried in the dictionary, almost all Japanese people can't understand what it means.
Use BGM instead.

から doesn't work well there.

再発売されていた
was re-released in the past but is not available now.

再発売されている
was re-released in the past and is still available now.

再発売された
was re-released in the past. (Whether it's available now or not is not stated.)

収集 refers to "collection" as an action, not the collected things/works.
What about "音楽集"?
組曲 refers to a music term "suite".
That's how music pieces are described on the cover.
I've never heard 劇伴. Even though it's actually entried in the dictionary, almost all Japanese people can't understand what it means.
Use BGM instead.
I wanted to avoid words taken from different languages. Is there any other Japanese word for "soundtrack", "background music" etc.?
から doesn't work well there.
Does it make the sentence completely not understandable? I can accept some grammar errors as long as the person who will read it can understand what I mean.
再発売されていた
was re-released in the past but is not available now.
再発売されている
was re-released in the past and is still available now.
再発売された
was re-released in the past. (Whether it's available now or not is not stated.)
It was released in 1994 (past) and re-released in 2006 (future).

What about "音楽集"?
It's understandable but I would use アルバム or just "CD" if it's intended to refer to a compilation CD.

I wanted to avoid words taken from different languages. Is there any other Japanese word for "soundtrack", "background music" etc.?
To a lesser extent, modern written Japanese also uses acronyms from the Latin alphabet, for example in terms such as "BC/AD", "a.m./p.m.", "FBI", and "CD".
Japanese writing system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

サウンドトラック and BGM are quite commonly used. You actually used CD, no?

Does it make the sentence completely not understandable? I can accept some grammar errors as long as the person who will read it can understand what I mean.
To compose a sentence is quite different from to translate just a word. For instance, から indicates the record company/label or the (re-)release date when combined with (再)発売された/されていた. Therefore it doesn't work well there.

As for #1 and #3, "the collection is the topic of the sentence. It's treated as the location of existence(where the collected songs exist)" is the key point of the sentence structure, as in my previous post.

It was released in 1994 (past) and re-released in 2006 (future).
"Now" is 2014 and 2006 is "past", right? Different conjugation forms are used depending on the current condition.
The word 発売 shows that it is a re-released one and was released in the past, quite the same as "re-release" in English.

It's understandable but I would use アルバム or just "CD" if it's intended to refer to a compilation CD.
The first release is 5CD box set and the second one is 3CD collection.
Japanese writing system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

サウンドトラック and BGM are quite commonly used. You actually used CD, no?
Words "soundtrack" and "BGM" are also used in my native language. We also hava a couple of our own words for background music. I don't think that there is a different word for CD in any language :)

The word "劇伴" is used a couple of times in a biography of the composer who composed the music I'm describing in my letter: 菊池俊輔
To compose a sentence is quite different from to translate just a word. For instance, から indicates the record company/label or the (re-)release date when combined with (再)発売された/されていた. Therefore it doesn't work well there.
What about "に"?
"Now" is 2014 and 2006 is "past", right? Different conjugation forms are used depending on the current condition.
The word 発売 shows that it is a re-released one and was released in the past, quite the same as "re-release" in English.

Current versions:

1. この音楽集で<TV series>そして十三<title>劇場版組曲含む。
"This music collection contains suites (music selections) from <TV series> and 13 <title> theatrical movies."

2. 全ての<TV series>音楽の<release name>に、<release name>で再発売されている。
"All <TV series> music of <release> was re-released on <release name>."

3. この音楽集で第4作–第10作<title>劇場版組曲含む。
"This music collection contains suites from 4th-10th <title> theatrical movies."

When I decided to write this letter, I said to myself that I will do everything what's in my power to make it the best it can be. Now I understood that translating these descriptions is above my possibilities. Doing this goes agains the main rule. Everything stays in English.

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom