What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Tsukiji Market

ifjames

先輩
Reaction score
Hi does anyone know if Tsukiji is definitely moving: if so, when, and to where?
If it is moving, what else would be nearby of interest?
We had a fantastic 8 days in March, spread thinly between Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka, and family: did everything we wanted to do, and whetted our appetite for a return visit in a year or so: Tsukiji was a highlight: great fun.
Thanks

sanji

secret-japan.com
Reaction score
It will move, but not in an immediate future, it will take a couple of years before the transfer can be done.

In the mean time, tourists are not allowed inside Tsukiji market before 9 am, regulation applied since the first of April. This is really a pity, the official reason being the "the safety of tourists can not be guaranteed"...

sanji

tigermilk

先輩
Reaction score
Was in Japan last week for work. No problem getting into Tsukiji before 9 AM last Friday. Took a coworker there since it was his first time in Japan. Saw plenty of other tourists as well.

ifjames

先輩
Reaction score
It will move, but not in an immediate future, it will take a couple of years before the transfer can be done.

In the mean time, tourists are not allowed inside Tsukiji market before 9 am, regulation applied since the first of April. This is really a pity, the official reason being the "the safety of tourists can not be guaranteed"...

sanji
Thanks Sanji do you know where to?? i thought somewhere near Odaiba???? When you say a couple of years is that literal: ie end of 2010 or after that??

Many thanks

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Donor
Reaction score
Is there an article or anything about this move? I hadn't heard about this until now. If tourists are being discouraged from going to the market, it's likely because they are such a nuisance to the people trying to work there.

ifjames

先輩
Reaction score
Arigato goziamas everyone: Lonely Planet tells me that the market is scheduled to move in 2012, something to do with having the current site for the 2016 Olympics bid???

I have a Kyoto question now so I'm starting another thread

ja mata ne

tigermilk

先輩
Reaction score
Arigato goziamas everyone: Lonely Planet tells me that the market is scheduled to move in 2012, something to do with having the current site for the 2016 Olympics bid???
I have a Kyoto question now so I'm starting another thread
ja mata ne
I have no idea why they are even thinking 2016. No way that will happen. With 2008 in Beijing and 2012 in London, you can bet 2016 will be somewhere in North/South/Central America.

Top Bottom