What's new

Trying to translate a 4koma

Karrion

後輩
8 Feb 2014
Hi!

Me and some friends have started translating a Toaru Majutsu no Index 4koma. We had not much trouble translating chapter 1, but we got stuck with some strange sentences in chapter 2. I hope you can help us with them.

これって考え方によっては話しかけるチャンスだったりするのでしょうか

We understood that これって考え方によっては means "thanks to this way of thinking", but we can't seem to link that with 話しかけるチャンスだったりするのでしょうか and we don't understand either what だったりする as だった is the past of desu, and する
is another verb altogether, so what does that り means?

も…もう一度…!いんでっくすと仲良くなれたりするでは…!?

Here we had a bit of a discussion, as a friend said that the one saying the phrase is thinking "index, do you want to be friends with me once more?" and I think she's saying the も…もう一度 as if she's practicing the phrase and saying it one last time.

なりゆきでついてくことになってしまった

This one mas no sense, directly, we understood something like "arriving at the conclusion turned into thing" which, as I said, makes little sense :/

メイドなのになー

we think here it says "I'm a maid after all" but we're not sure, as we haven't seen ever so many particles together

覚悟しちゃってるー!!

Jisho only says that 覚悟 is resolution, but it says nothing about the しちゃってる so we didn't know what it meant.

えーーーーーーっ そこをなんとかしてほしいかもっ

Here we think it says something like "I thought you were going to lend some to me" but it says it in kind of a strange way that i don't understand.

勝手にあかないんだよー

This seems like some kind of cultural misunderstanding, as it says that she can't enter through the door without permission, but I'm not pretty sure about that.

We had trouble with the entire page this one is in, but I prefer to ask about concrete sentences, and if it's not a problem, to ask for a correction of the entire translation another time. I understand it's a long comic (10 pages o 4koma) so I understand if you don't want to correct it.

Anyway:

これから彼女が買った同じプリンを買いに行こうと思っていたところだよ

We think is says something like "So the girl bought the pudding that I thought they were going to buy" but it sounded a bit strange, so I thought we made a mistake.

That is all for now, thanks in advance :D

Just by way of background, have any of you been studying Japanese? Or are you attempting to translate this mainly through looking up words and phrases?

We know some basic japanese and are trying to learn more by translating. Given that I tried before to translate a game without much success and now we got stuck with seemingly basic stuff, we want to finish this and go back to study so we don't have to bother you guys so much.

これって考え方によっては話しかけるチャンスだったりするのでしょうか

We understood that これって考え方によっては means "thanks to this way of thinking", but we can't seem to link that with 話しかけるチャンスだったりするのでしょうか and we don't understand either what だったりする as だった is the past of desu, and する
is another verb altogether, so what does that り means?

も…もう一度…!いんでっくすと仲良くなれたりするでは…!?

Here we had a bit of a discussion, as a friend said that the one saying the phrase is thinking "index, do you want to be friends with me once more?" and I think she's saying the も…もう一度 as if she's practicing the phrase and saying it one last time.
I don't know where the translation "thanks" came from, but it's actually 考え方によっては、これって話しかけるチャンスだったりするのでしょうか, i.e., これ is the topic.

だったりする is a colloquial expression, meaning "maybe/could". It's from a set expression ~たり…たりする, which is used to list examples of actions.
なれたりする is also the same. It expresses the probability of 仲良くなれる might exist.

The first exclamation mark just emphasizes もう一度. That's a single sentence "もう一度いんでっくすと仲良くなれたりするでは…!?".

なりゆきでついてくことになってしまった

This one mas no sense, directly, we understood something like "arriving at the conclusion turned into thing" which, as I said, makes little sense :/
Look up なりゆき(成り行き/成行き) in your dictionary.
こと doesn't mean "thing". ~ことになる is a set phrase.

メイドなのになー

we think here it says "I'm a maid after all" but we're not sure, as we haven't seen ever so many particles together
I believe のに is in the dictionary.

覚悟しちゃってるー!!

Jisho only says that 覚悟 is resolution, but it says nothing about the しちゃってる so we didn't know what it meant.
覚悟する is a verb. ~ちゃってる is the contraction of ~てしまっている.

えーーーーーーっ そこをなんとかしてほしいかもっ

Here we think it says something like "I thought you were going to lend some to me" but it says it in kind of a strange way that i don't understand.
It's a colloquial way of expressing the speaker's wish/request.
なんとかする is a set phrase, meaning "to do something about~ / figure something out".

勝手にあかないんだよー

This seems like some kind of cultural misunderstanding, as it says that she can't enter through the door without permission, but I'm not pretty sure about that.
勝手に means "on its own/automatically" here, not "without permission". The speaker misunderstands it's an automatic door.

We had trouble with the entire page this one is in, but I prefer to ask about concrete sentences, and if it's not a problem, to ask for a correction of the entire translation another time. I understand it's a long comic (10 pages o 4koma) so I understand if you don't want to correct it.

Anyway:

これから彼女が買った同じプリンを買いに行こうと思っていたところだよ

We think is says something like "So the girl bought the pudding that I thought they were going to buy" but it sounded a bit strange, so I thought we made a mistake.
彼女が買ったのと同じプリン "The same pudding as she bought" makes sense?
The subject of 買いに行こうと思っていた is the speaker.

I wonder if the group has learned potential form yet. If not, they're going to have trouble appreciating the difference between なる and なれる

A gentle reminder: while fan-translations and excerpts from the original can be argued under "fair use" rules, a link to a downloadable entire chapter in the raw is not really kosher.

If you have queries on any parts of the first chapter you weren't 100% on, posting a little snippet of those parts is fine.

(FAQ link)

I didn't expect that sort of link when I asked the question. I thought it would be a few blocks of text in a post. I was curious to see how much difference there could be between the level of Japanese from chapter to chapter and see if it really was so much easier than Chapter 2 or if perhaps they had some misunderstandings which might need addressing.

I agree, though; a link to a published pirated work shouldn't be here.

Whoops... Sorry about that, didn't really think about it. Either way, as the images are already in the batoto link, I will post the text we used in the edition:

Index's daily life <-- Title
--------------------------

幸せなんだよ~

Such happiness~

例倉庫にプリンがあったおかげで

Thanks to this pudding that was in the fridge

*sfx* sigh

いんでっくすのお腹とせなかはくっつかないで済みそうかも!

Index will not starve!

・・・む?

Eh?

容器のとこになんか書いてあるかも・・・?

There was something written in the jar...?

Jar: 食うな

Do not eat.

あっ・・・

ツ。Ah!

-----------------------------------------------------------

I'll make him pay <-- Title.
--------------------

仕方ないんだようっ

So annoying

*sfx* hmm hmm

いっつもいっつもいんでっくすにおお留守番させてるとーまが悪いんだよっ

Touma is always leaving me to keep the house, it's not fair.

すぐにもどって くるから

I'm out for a moment, be right back.

今日という今日は寛容になれないかも!

I can't allow this to happen anymore!

帰ってきたら無視してこまらせてやるんだよっ

I'll make him pay when he comes back

ぶーんだ!

That's a buzz!

ただいまー

I'm home~
*sfx* hum...

*sfx* HE LLO!

Such misfortune <-- Title

とーま!とーま!

Touma! Touma!

*sfx* slam

*sfx* tap tap tap tap

おかえりなんだよ~

Welcome back~

あれっとーまけがしてる!

Eh? Touma is hurt!

ん? ちょっと擦り剥いただけでたいしたことねーよ

Ah, this? It's nothing, it's just a scratch.

*sfx* oh

そ・・・そっか・・・

Ah, I see...

でも・・・ そのかわりに

But, on the other hand...

不幸ですね

I'm so unfortunate...

晩メシの材料全部ダメになちゃってさー 本当についてないよな~

I couldn't get the ingredients for dinner... Such misfortune~

晩御飯抜き!?

No dinner?!

私の方が不幸だ!!

I'm so unfortunate!!

-------------------------------------------------------------
The original intent is important <- Title

いってぇ~・・・ 噛むことないだろう~っ

That hurts~... You didn't have to bite me~

*sfx* huuuuuuuuuuuuuuum

とーま変わっちゃったんだねっ・・・!

Touma has changed...!

出会った頃はあんなに美味しいご飯を出してくれたのにっ・・・!

With all the delicious food that you used to prepare when we met...!

そうだっけ

So that was it...

とーま!私たち最初の頃の気持ちを思い出した方がいいとおもうの!

Touma! You better remember the feelings of the time we met!

*sfx* menacing

なんだようその熟年夫婦みたいな会話は・・・!!

Why are you talking like we are a couple?!

ということで初心忘るべからず!だよっ!

Well, you mustn't forget the original intent.

*sfx* plof

*sfx* eeh...?

それは初心なのか・・・?

Was there any to begin with...?

----------------------------------------------------------------
Perfect Memory <- Title

空腹で元気がなくなってきたかも...

I'm so hungry I've lost all my energy...

*sfx* ugh...

わかったわかった!今すぐコンビニ行ってきてやるから...

OK, OK! I'll go to a convenience store right now...

ついていってあげてもいいんだよっ!?

Can I go too!?

*sfx* chaaaaaaaan

いやいいよ一人で行ってくるから

No, I'm going alone.

*sfx* disappointment

ほ。。。ほら!いんでっくすがいたら買ったもの全部覚えられるよっ!

Don't be that way! If I go, we won't forget to buy anything!

完全記憶能力が役に立っ!

My Perfect Memory is helpful!

家計簿でもつける気か。。。!?

Are you trying to take care of the household accounts...!?
--------------------------------------------------------
Moment of doubt <- Title

コンビに

Convenience store

う~~~~~ん

Hmmmmm

どうした?

What happens?

オムハヤシっていうのとオムソバっていうので迷ってるんだよー

I'm doubting between omuhayashi and omusoba (omusoba and omuhayashi are noodles with omelette and rice with omelette respectively)

*sfx* turn

じゃあ俺オムハヤシにするから

Well, I pick omuhayashi.

お前オムソバにして半分こすればいーじゃん

And then I'll share with you the omusoba, okay?

え!?いーの?

Eh? Really?

やった!

Yes!

全部食べちゃったらゴメンね?

Will you forgive me if I eat it all?

許しません

Not a chance...
--------------------------------------------------------
Exactly the same! <- Title

とーま!これ!とーまがはじめてくれた食べ物にそっくりだよ!

Touma! Look! It's what I ate when we met!

そっくりもなにも同じやつだぞ ヤキソバパン

Yes, it's the same. Yakisoba pan. (Yakisoba pan = A noodle sandwich)

*sfx* thinking

でもなんか前に食べたのとちょっと違う気がするんだよ

Though it doesn't really feel as the same that I ate before.

*sfx* grab

そ。。。そうか?

D-does it now?

キャー!!!

Wah!!!

*sfx* splorch

とーま!!これだよこれそっくり!!

Touma! Now it's exactly the same!

*sfx* wiggle

*sfx* haha...

ま…まんま再現しましたからね…

S-so you remember that too...

金足りるかな。。。

I wonder if i'll have enough money...
--------------------------------------------
For testing purposes <- Title

う…俺の残金が日に日に減ってく…

Uh... My remaining money decreases day by day...

*sfx* sigh

ありあとやんした

Thanks for the purchase.

*sfx* tap tap

実はこいつ貧乏神なんじゃ!?

What if she is in reality a goddess of poverty?

*sfx* gulp

右手でさわったら消えちゃったり―

Maybe if I touch her with my right hand, it will disappear.

*sfx* touch

なワケないですよねー

Yeah, as if that was going to happen~

*sfx* pat pat
--------------------------------------------
Imagine Breaker <- Title

*sfx* blush

お腹いっぱいで幸せなんだよ

To be full is so blissful.

あ!そういえばプリン買ってあるんだったな!

Oh! Now that I remember, the other day I bought a pudding!

あれ。。。ねーな。。。

Oh... It's not here...

*sfx* pudding

昨日いれたはずなんだけど…

I'm pretty sure I put it here...

とーま!

Touma!

*sfx* turn

とーまはきっと昨日いれておいたプリンが冷蔵庫の中に入ってるーーーそう思ってたんだね

You thought you put the pudding inside the fridge but...

その幻想をぶち殺す!!

I dispelled that thought with my spoon!

ごめんね!

Sorry!

*sfx* twitch

食ってんじゃねぇぇぇ!!

Why did you eat it!!??

Again, sorry for the inconvenience.

I don't think there was ill intent on any side there. No harm, no foul. 🙂:

A more general note to those who want to use manga as practice material: there are plenty of legit online sources for free stuff, for example comico (has some slice of life/essay type things which could be great practice - うふそー一族 is cute and has Okinawa dialect but it's all explained in-comic) and Jコミ - older works, some back to the 1970s.

The important part is knowing when to put something down and walk away. Sometimes something's just too difficult for you right now - that's okay. You can always come back to it later. If you're finding a lot of grammar that you don't recognise that's definitely a sign you're going to struggle - unknown vocab is much easier to deal with than unknown grammar.

The important part is knowing when to put something down and walk away. Sometimes something's just too difficult for you right now - that's okay. You can always come back to it later. If you're finding a lot of grammar that you don't recognise that's definitely a sign you're going to struggle - unknown vocab is much easier to deal with than unknown grammar.

Thank you for the websites, nekojita :)

And about that, as I said before, yes, we want to keep on studying so we don't have so many problems with grammar. The thing is, as we already started doing this one and it's almost finished, we wanted to at least have this one finished and learn as much as we can about it.

Sorry for the double-post, but now that I think about it, I'd like someone to correct Chapter 1 to see if it really was that easy or we misunderstood lots of things, I'm curious about what Mike was going to say about it. If it's too long, don't worry and sorry for asking and again for double-posting.

I'll try to look at it later. To be honest, you showed a lack of knowledge about relatively basic grammar points in chapter 2 which made me wonder about how you got through chapter 1 with no problems.

We're curious about that, too, that's why I asked. We've already given up on trying to translate anymore and will be going back to the drawing table, but given that we want to learn and we thought of translating as a means to that, it can't hurt to extract some knowledge from something we've already done.

Thanks for your interest. :)

幸せなんだよ~
冷蔵庫にプリンがあったおかげで
These two lines are a single sentence; 冷蔵庫にプリンがあったおかげで幸せなんだよ~. It's an inversion.
The subject of 幸せなんだ is the speaker.

容器のとこになんか書いてあるかも・・・?
Isn't there any typo here?

仕方ないんだようっ
This(= She happened to eat his pudding) can't be helped.

出会った頃はあんなに美味しいご飯を出してくれたのにっ・・・!
With all the delicious food that you used to prepare when we met...!
Is there any reason you interpreted 出してくれた as a modifying clause?

とーま!私たち最初の頃の気持ちを思い出した方がいいとおもうの!
Touma! You better remember the feelings of the time we met!
The subject is 私たち, not とーま.

なんだようその熟年夫婦みたいな会話は・・・!!
Why are you talking like we are a couple?!
You missed 熟年. Not "just a couple" is the key of this sentence.

それは初心なのか・・・?
Was there any to begin with...?
それ refers to 出会った頃はあんなに美味しいご飯を出してくれた.

ついていってあげてもいいんだよっ!?
Can I go too!?
ついていってあげてもいいんだよっ!? is not humble like "Can I~?"

ほ。。。ほら!いんでっくすがいたら買ったもの全部覚えられるよっ!
Don't be that way! If I go, we won't forget to buy anything!
That's 買ったもの, not 買うもの.

ほ、、、ほら means "you know" here. She is going to make a excuse.

家計簿でもつける気か。。。!?
Are you trying to take care of the household accounts...!?
It's not 気をつける. 家計簿をつける means "to keep household accounts".
~する気か is a question "Are you going to do?"

オムハヤシっていうのとオムソバっていうので迷ってるんだよー
I'm doubting between omuhayashi and omusoba (omusoba and omuhayashi are noodles with omelette and rice with omelette respectively)
Look up 迷う in your dictionary again.

とーま!これ!とーまがはじめてくれた食べ物にそっくりだよ!
Touma! Look! It's what I ate when we met!
そっくり is not "the same".

そっくりもなにも同じやつだぞ ヤキソバパン
Yes, it's the same. Yakisoba pan. (Yakisoba pan = A noodle sandwich)
~もなにも is denying her words, thus, it's not "Yes".

ま…まんま再現しましたからね…
S-so you remember that too..
再現 doesn't mean "remember".

なワケないですよねー
Yeah, as if that was going to happen~
なワケない is negative.

お腹いっぱいで幸せなんだよ
To be full is so blissful.
The subject is the speaker.

No typos there that I can see.

"Y-you know, if I go, we will not forget to buy anything that was bought then (= when we first met)" is a better translation?

"I'm going too!?" would be a better way to translate it?

Given the context, I thought "to waver, to hesitate" would be the correct meaning.

Again, given the context, I thought "just like, the spitting image of" would be the correct meaning.

We know it says something like "You want to repeat/reproduce that too..." but given the speakers reaction, we thought it would be more natural to say "remember" as he seems kinda apologetic.

"That's not going to happen" sounds too literal.

It's "I'm so happy that I'm full~" then?

Thank you for the corrections, even though I have yet some doubts as exposed before. Sorry for not using quotes, the formatting was a bit weird when I tried to use them. Either way, I hope it wasn't too much work to correct it. >_<

"Y-you know, if I go, we will not forget to buy anything that was bought then (= when we first met)" is a better translation?
You still misunderstood 買うもの. It's future, not past.

"I'm going too!?" would be a better way to translate it?
She intentionally uses 上から目線 "I can do it for you".

Again, given the context, I thought "just like, the spitting image of" would be the correct meaning.
"Just like, the spitting image of" is NOT the same as "the same". You need to differentiate them since とーま is denying her words "It's not ソックリ but 同じ", as I wrote in my previous post.

We know it says something like "You want to repeat/reproduce that too..." but given the speakers reaction, we thought it would be more natural to say "remember" as he seems kinda apologetic.
Where did "want" come from? You seem to misunderstand the usage of から here.

It's "I'm so happy that I'm full~" then?
Right. You confused お腹いっぱいで幸せなんだよ with お腹いっぱいって幸せなんだよ. Can you see the difference now?

Back
Top Bottom