What's new

Trying to Find Name of Film

seaaustin

後輩
23 Aug 2011
Hello :)

While having a conversation about strong female characters in Japanese film, I recalled a Japanese film I saw in September 2000. It was during my flight (Malaysia Air), which could mean it was a relatively new film.

The film was about the life of two couples: a man in his twenties with a woman in her twenties, and a man in his fifties with a woman in her twenties (perhaps 30s). The woman in the younger couple in particular had a very strong, dominant personality.

My friend has a keen interest in Japanese films and in media portrayal of strong women. She is interested to look up the film and I am at a loss for where to point her. Does this description sound familiar to anyone?

I would also appreciate pointers to any other films that you think might appeal to her based on the description I give above.

Thanks!

Hmmmm, there's no dog (probably a golden retriever) who is very smart and cute at the same time. And you did not mention that it had an illness and died at the end. So I am guessing it's not a Japanese movie.

Was it animated?

Hmmmm, there's no dog (probably a golden retriever) who is very smart and cute at the same time. And you did not mention that it had an illness and died at the end. So I am guessing it's not a Japanese movie.
Was it animated?

Thank you for responding :) I sense you are not actually referring to a film that had this type of story line, and instead making a joke about the sentimental content of films (much like one might joke about Country music having to involve dogs, trucks, and a broken heart) ;-)

In case you are referring to a plot, I have been trying to jog my memory about the plot and remember little about it. It was on a flight to Tokyo amidst jet leg ;-)

The mention of the dog and illness neither leads me to say yes nor to say no. Was there a dog and illness? Maybe? I remember reflecting on how the media often portrays a skewed, incomplete, or inaccurate image, and the strength and dominance of the female characters stood out to me stood out to me during this reflection, which is why that part of the plot stands out to me the most.

It was not animated; it was a conventional film shot with camera. The story occurs mostly around their homes. I think the elder man, at least, had a home in a peaceful, quiet setting. Details I vaguely remember are that the man in the younger couple tried very hard to please, somewhat like the man in the Korean film My Sassy Girl. And that the elder man had a significant conversation with the younger man and gave advice to the younger man.

If you are thinking of a film that somewhat matches this description, please let me know the name and I will try to look it up.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom