What's new

truetype font of wabi-sabi

wabi-sabi

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

My partner and I were recently married and are having wedding bands made.

Wabi-sabi is a concept that resonates strongly with both of us - my spouse, in particular, is a talented artist and furniture maker.

We want to have the characters representing wabi-sabi engraved on our wedding bands but were told by our jeweler that they need a truetype font and the appropriate keystrokes in order to add these characters to our bands.

I noticed in admiring your website that you seem to have a great deal of facility with the characters and wondered if you could steer me in the right direction to locate the requested truetype font and keystrokes?

Apologies for the out-of-the-blue question; hope it is not too great an imposition.

With gratitude for your consideration,

(personal data removed)

Last edited by a moderator:

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
Are you looking for engravings in Japanese or in modern Latin characters?

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
You can write the characters in any number of Japanese fonts, just as you can write any English word in countless fonts. You need to pick a Japanese font you like.

Installing a Japanese IME (input method editor) should bring with it several fonts. You can try installing the Japanese language package for your OS, or you might try the Google Japanese IME.

lincstreff

後輩
Contributor
Reaction score
Your jeweler may also be able to handle a vector-based image, which could circumvent the need to provide a font. I am attaching a PDF file which shows the Japanese characters for wabi-sabi, expressed in a variety of different fonts. If there is one you like here, the jeweler may be able to extract it directly from this file. I am also separately providing (in a ZIP file) an .svg format and an .eps format file for these characters in one of those fonts: HanWangShinSuMedium. If the jeweler cannot work with the PDF file, he/she may be able to work with one of these other files. By the way, although I cannot certify it, all of the fonts in the PDF file should be free to use.

Attachments