What's new

Trouble displaying Japanese Characters

nfpgasmask

後輩
9 Jul 2011
Hi folks, just joined, and I have a question.

I use webmail for my email through my ISP, fatcow. Now, I have the Japanese language pack installed for my browswer, and I can see Japanese characters just fine on the web in IE8. However, when I receive emails from folks in Japan, they come across in my webmail like this for instance:

$B$4
$B%F!
$B%-%8%^$H$$$&%a!
$B$h$m$7$/$*4j$$CW$7$^$9!#(B

So, is there something I can do to display text emails properly via my webmail?

Thanks - Bart

Did you manually add the Japanese language in IE8 in Internet Options > Language Preference > Add > Japanese(Japan) [ja-JP]? Beyond doing that, I think the ability to view Japanese characters is entirely client side. Let me know if you've already tried that and it's still not working. Or, let me know if that fixes the problem for you.

To be completely honest? If that doesn't work, you might have to try an e-mail provider along the lines of Yahoo! Japan(specifically Yahoo! Japan), or give Gmail a shot because it also has decent Japanese language support.

30tgqp1-1.jpg

Please don't mind the Google translated Japanese text I entered for the above picture.

Confirmed: I registered an account on Yahoo.co.jp and it's displaying Japanese characters perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom