What's new

Travel travelling to Japan in late May

joel_x

Registered
6 Feb 2016
is it ok to travel to japan in mid may? like right after golden week. do all the places that tend to go crowded during golden week go back to normal including transport? oh, and the prices of accommodation too. if not, i was wondering if i should go during early june. does it rain a lot during the first two weeks?

Mid-May is perfect. The crowds will be gone and pricing/capacity back to normal. June is ok too. The rainy season might be going on but it's hit or miss. Especially this year being an El Nino year it may not follow the typical pattern.

A lot will depend on where in Japan you intend to travel. Japan covers a lot of degrees of latitude and things can vary quite a bit depending whether you're on the Pacific side, the Sea of Japan side, in the mountains, or near the sea, etc..

If you're looking at Tokyo, there's no significant difference in rainfall between April and May but things get a lot wetter in June. (Note that the number of days with rain is about the same; rainy days in June just rain longer and/or more heavily).
Weather and Climate: Tokyo, Japan, average monthly , Rainfall (millimeter), Sunshine, Temperatures (celsius), Sunshine, Humidity, Wind Speed

You can easily find climate information for various cities online:
Weather and Climate: Japan, average monthly Rainfall, Sunshine, Temperature, Humidity, Wind Speed

is it ok to travel to japan in mid may? like right after golden week. do all the places that tend to go crowded during golden week go back to normal including transport? oh, and the prices of accommodation too. if not, i was wondering if i should go during early june. does it rain a lot during the first two weeks?

The easiest way to check this is to go to a website like hotels.com or booking.com and compare dates. Since there are so many hotels and hostels in the bigger cities, I would find it hard to believe if there are not at least a couple of affordable places. Even during the holiday season.
I don't like June in Japan that much, because of the rain. It affects my mood and I hate it when it affects my outdoor plans. That of course depends on the person. Since you are from Singapore, I take it that you are used to humidity. You might as well wait a month and come in July.

Where are you going and what will you hope to do? Japan is big enough to make a difference in our answers.

Back
Top Bottom