What's new

Traveling with criminal charges

Riyko

先輩
28 Nov 2005
I hope this is the right place this isn't for me, I'm just trying to get some information, but I put this here since it's about traveling to japan.

Anyways, is it possible to travel to japan if you have any sort of criminal charges against you?

{EDIT} So I don't confuse anyone else I mean a criminal record and not criminal charges.

Last edited:
What kind of criminal charges, and who is the prosecuting authority? I guess it'd be alright until you get caught ;) If you're thinking about going on the lam, I'd suggest a country with no extradition treaties with the country in which you are a criminal. I hear Nicaragua is nice.

I hope this is the right place this isn't for me, I'm just trying to get some information, but I put this here since it's about traveling to japan.
Anyways, is it possible to travel to japan if you have any sort of criminal charges against you?

It's called "unlawful flight to avoid prosecution" and is a serious crime in itself.

Consult your attorney about restrictions on your movements (even in Utah) to avoid future major headaches.

My friend got charged with shoplifting cold medication and it's on her criminal record along with underage substance abuse and a few other shoplifiting charges, but she wanted to know if she could still go to japan.

There is a spot on the Japan entry form to disclose your criminal record. I'm sure that when you fill that in it's an immediate trip to a back room at the airport.

My friend got charged with shoplifting cold medication and it's on her criminal record along with underage substance abuse and a few other shoplifiting charges, but she wanted to know if she could still go to japan.
There is a difference between pending criminal charges (yet to be adjudicated), which is what you asked about, and past convictions.

From the NY Japan Consulate site:

An applicant with an arrest or criminal record must provide a copy of his/her court and/or arrest record (including cases that ended with an acquittal or pardon), along with an English translation of those documents if they are in any language other than English. In the event that there was no trial, please bring a letter that explains in detail, the circumstances surrounding the arrest.

The main Embassy in Washington indicates:

Q9. Is the issuance of a visa guaranteed once applied?

Overseas Japanese diplomatic establishments may not issue a visa to an applicant who comes under the following categories or is suspected of coming under these categories:

- If the applicant does not possess a genuine and valid passport.

- If the contents of the application are false.

- If the applicant has a criminal record including more than one year's imprisonment.

- If the applicant has a criminal record involving narcotics, marijuana, stimulants, prostitution, etc.

Why do you hang out with a habitual thief?

Oops sorry about confusing the two different subjects.
I'll let her know about that and I don't hang out with her anymore after her last shoplifting charge in november, I didn't know about her previous charges until she got caught last time.

Well kudos on being so helpful mike however I don't understand what the last question has to do with the topic at hand here ?

The last question was just a matter of curiosity. And before anyone accuses me of being inflammatory for calling her friend a habitual thief, I'll remind you that the OP told us her friend is a habitual thief.

The OP took no exception to the question, so I don't see why it is the place of others to do so by proxy.

well ive got a bit of a record, dont know how much has been wiped though.
i did spend an hour or so in 'the room' but i think its more to do with confusions over my passport (UK but issued abroad)
i never declare it though and to be honest dont remember a relevent question on the form.

The last question was just a matter of curiosity. And before anyone accuses me of being inflammatory for calling her friend a habitual thief, I'll remind you that the OP told us her friend is a habitual thief.

The OP took no exception to the question, so I don't see why it is the place of others to do so by proxy.

Let's also say that for me it was also a matter of curiosity, just trying to understand how the personal habits & lifestyle of the OP were related to this particular topic... i guess curiosity is contageous.

I'm not accusing you of anything. I just asked a simple question just as you did.

You seem to be starting a nasty habit of humbrage by proxy, though.

Back
Top Bottom