What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Translator

Benji

先輩
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what is the quickest route to becoming a qualified Japanese/English translator? Please bear in mind that I live in the UK. Thank you!

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Donor
Reaction score
knowing_truth22 said:
magandang umaga
um, what??

as for actually answering the question, I daresay the first step is attaining fluency. What kind of job translating are you considering? Government or private sector?

Silverpoint

Sempai
Reaction score
Benji said:
Can anyone tell me what is the quickest route to becoming a qualified Japanese/English translator? Please bear in mind that I live in the UK. Thank you!

It's not clear from the question exactly what you mean.

a) You're already fluent in both Japanese and English and you want to know how to obtain a professional qualification which would aid you in seeking employment

b) You speak no Japanese at present and want to learn the language in order to achieve an ambition later in life of becoming a translator

c) You speak a little Japanese and this has sparked your interest enough to take it further (which for all intents and purposes means the same as b)

Could you clarify which one applies to you? I'm sure someone would be happy to help you when we know where you're coming from.

Luthien Rogue

Sempai
Reaction score
knowing_truth22 said:
magandang umaga

Good morning to you too. o.o

Riiight.. XD

Anyway, Silverpoint asked exactly what I was thinking. Learning the language is probably a good start. :p

Top Bottom