What's new

Translations (small phrases) and verb questions.

kisu

後輩
4 May 2003
Hello. I was wondering the translation of these mini phrases..as all the dictionaries and online translators can't get them right *glares*

Thank you if you don't mind helping me out.

"Don't do that"
"Go away"
"I don't want to"
"I don't have to"
"don't worry"
"no more questions please"
"it's not important"
"i'll wait and see"

And about verbs.. like for example how do you say something like "i didn't want to" using two things like a negative and a past tense and like two things "wanted + see" and stuff.. like:

mita (i saw) mitai (i want to see) do you make mitatai?? it sounds weird i dunno much but if you understood what i just said at all maybe you can give me a few rules on that sort of thing?? please? *confused* :sorry:

And is there a future tense? like mita (saw) mimasu (seeing) mi??? (will see) (I dont know if those are right...)

SORRY TO BE SO CONFUSING! :sorry:

Thank you if you can help~ (Learnign a second language is so frustrating..)

~Kisu

Originally posted by kisu
Hello. I was wondering the translation of these mini phrases..as all the dictionaries and online translators can't get them right *glares*

Thank you if you don't mind helping me out.

"Don't do that"
"Go away"
"I don't want to"
"I don't have to"
"don't worry"
"no more questions please"
"it's not important"
"i'll wait and see"

Sore wo shinaide
Hanarete (leave, seperate) or Kamawanaide (leave me alone) -- was this the tone you were looking for?
Depends on the verb -- I don't want to do it ? "Shitakunai desu"
-- I don't have to do it ? "Shinakute mo ii desu" or "suru hitsuyou ha nai/arimasen" (Lit. it isn't necessary)
"(ima no tokoro) kore ijou/hoka ni shitsumon wo shinaide kudasai"
There are several expressions for this depending on the degree of importance....which I'll let someone tackle ;).
Hmmmm....I'll wait and see on this matter" maybe "sono koto/ken wo seikan shimasu" (?)[/quote]

And about verbs.. like for example how do you say something like "i didn't want to" using two things like a negative and a past tense and like two things "wanted + see" and stuff.. like:

mita (i saw) mitai (i want to see) do you make mitatai?? it sounds weird i dunno much but if you understood what i just said at all maybe you can give me a few rules on that sort of thing?? please? *confused* :sorry:
I don't even think there is a "mashita" form for this tense, I just normally use the informal "Mitakatta desu."

And is there a future tense? like mita (saw) mimasu (seeing) mi??? (will see) (I dont know if those are right...)
"Miru" actually does have a future tense, mimasu, although of course it can also be "mimasu" ("I watch" for something done habitually or usually "miru" for "I see"). While mite imasu (I am watching/looking at) is the present or represents an ongoing action. As you can gather, sometimes future is the same as the present (I am going or I will go, ikimasu) and other times not :p

Last edited:
> mita (i saw) mitai (i want to see) do you make mitatai??
> it sounds weird i dunno much but if you understood what i just said at all maybe you
> can give me a few rules on that sort of thing?? please? *confused*

The thing you need to remember is that once you turn verbs into certain forms like -tai (want) or -nai (negative) they then become adjectives grammatically speaking.

Past tense of an adjective such as oishii (delicious) is oishikatta. Similarly, past tense of mitai is mitakatta. Negative is mitakunai (don't want to see) and past tense of that is mitakunakatta (didn't want to see).

As Elizabeth says, present & future tenses are the same. The actual meaning is taken from context.

Although there is a small group of verbs, such as 〜〜de hatarakimasu (will work at a particular job), kekkon shimasu (will marry) shinu (will die) and probably others (shirimasu -- I know? ; narimasu -- I have become ?) that imply an instantaneous one-time change of state and are future only.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom