What's new

Translation validity?

Kyou Hikari

後輩
1 Mar 2012
I was going for a literal translation of "Brother's til' the end" with respect to the Gears of War 3 motto.

最後までの兄弟 (saigo made no kyoudai)

and I am questioning the validity of this phrase, if it does actually translate to Japanese properly.

You run into problems when you stipulate "literal" translations and can end up with something may satisfy your own needs and sensibilities yet be unclear, confusing, or downright puzzling to a speaker of the other language.

You're starting from an assumption that the word "brother" would have the same meaning and be used in the same sense in Japanese.

You're usually much better off with a functional translation than a literal one.

Unless you just want a piece of kewl-looking kanji decoration to plaster on something, in which case it doesn't matter a hill of beans one way or the other.

You run into problems when you stipulate "literal" translations and can end up with something may satisfy your own needs and sensibilities yet be unclear, confusing, or downright puzzling to a speaker of the other language.

You're starting from an assumption that the word "brother" would have the same meaning and be used in the same sense in Japanese.

You're usually much better off with a functional translation than a literal one.

Unless you just want a piece of kewl-looking kanji decoration to plaster on something, in which case it doesn't matter a hill of beans one way or the other.

So that being said, what would be the closest Japanese equivalent that makes sense?as

Without any context, it is impossible to tell if the literal translation is valid, nor suggest more appropriate translation...

desk20flip-1.jpg

Given your request and explanation, the proposed translation is fine.

It'll make a lovely tattoo.

Given your request and explanation, the proposed translation is fine.

It'll make a lovely tattoo.

Thanks, I needed a definite answer somewhere.
*also it's not for a tattoo.
Also Mike, I am already studying Japanese beyond basic phrases, its just the difficulty of merging both cultures based off a saying in one
I find that learning the language itself isn't that difficult, albeit I am not far into it.

Since it would appear none of us have either the slightest idea what "Gear of War 3" is or the slightest inclination to research and educate ourselves on it, it falls to you to provide enough context for us to be able to help you.

Is "brothers" used in the context of "brothers-in-arms"? If so, I would suspect the Japanese equivalent may use a term other than 兄弟. One of our native speaking friends would be a much better source than anything I could offer, which would be nothing more than guesswork. I suspect something like: 戦友

Come on, Mike. We all know Japanese is just English written out of sequence with funny characters.

So far I haven't seen any reason to yank his chain for my own sport.

Gears of War 3 is basically a computer game series. Pretty much a science fiction shooter with aliens and soldiers. Most American and European members will probaly know Ridley Scotts Alien(s) movie franchise, think the aliens and colonial marines and thats pretty similar to what Gears of War is "like". So yeah "Brothers till the end" is undoubtably refering to comrades/brothers-in-arms.

Geek disclaimer: Only played it once or twice I have a life! ☝

Gaijin Lol, I'm more insulted gaijin that you think I am that naive. Its almost embarrassing reading your message because it makes you seem stupid.
Mike, 戦友 is indeed a more appropriate term. It was ignorant of me to not consider the vast cultural difference between terms, as I currently am only fluent with Spanish and English, which aren't too far apart. It is related to the war term brothers-in-arms.

Back
Top Bottom