What's new

Translation Software

Random404

後輩
6 May 2007
Does anyone know if there is software out there that can translate Japanese Kanji characters from either drawing them in or from scanning them in from images. Obvious why I want it. I am learning Japanese but um... well anyone who knows Kanji knows how insane it is... so many characters. Thanks in advance for any help on this topic.

If you install the Japanese language input method editor for windows, you can access a function where you draw characters in.

If you have a Nintendo DS, there's a good dictionary available that you can write characters into using the touch screen.

Other than that, you'll probably have to go with a PDA.

Hello there,

well i have several softwares to helping you with that so i will post you some very usefull software, but i just have the name,
not the site...
But i think it's easy to find it on Google,
so no problem.

So here are the softwares:

JquickTrans

A very usefull software used in university's to translate Kanji's and Kana's.

Rikaichan

An Add-on for Firefox to read kanji's on websites in Japanese (very usefull !!)

Moji

Another Add-on for firefox who use the same interface of Rikaichan, but it's more powerfull i think and way more detailled.

I still have some softwares,
but i will have to search it because i can't tell you the name of it like that,
but anyway these softwares will help you a lot !

Ganbatte ne !

How do Japanese people look up a Kanji they don't understand? I mean it's hard enough to find an actual translation for the Kanji, let alone find out how to write the damn thing on your computer. Paper based dictionaries seem equally useless (if not more useless since you don't have the computational power of a computer to do the searching for you).

That Windows thing where you draw the character sound interesting. Is there anything similar available for MacOSX? Or perhaps some online Flash software?

Another one is this place:
Kanji quick
There are two versions, a free 30-day trial demo, and the full version.

If you're not sure of what it is, then you can put in a stroke count on that as well.

Breem's dictionary has something like this as well, and it's completely free.

Back
Top Bottom