What's new

Translation Request - a few sentences from an artbook

diplomatio

Registered
17 Nov 2015
Dear All,

I have just received an artbook pertaining to a work of fiction (specifically, an RPG game called Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines) and would humbly like to request a translation of a very few short sentences which may be the only written parts of the artbook that might, in my eyes, be important to full understanding of the game's complex storyline and setting. I am asking for this as I specialize in a different East Asian language (Korean) and do not have any expertise in Japanese language. I hope You do not consider this request to be too big. The files containing photos of the text are included in attachments to this message.

Kind regards,

Diplomatio

Attachments

• 20151113_135436.jpg
    20151113_135436.jpg
    526.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 20151113_135749.jpg
    20151113_135749.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 20151113_135422.jpg
    20151113_135422.jpg
    712.1 KB · Views: 147
First image:
翅の模様
背中側にうっすらとあります
ほとんど見えません。

腹側は翅の模様なし。

翅のつけねから長い毛
肢や頭部胸部腹部も
ふさふさ。

鱗粉は金色
触覚、前翅の緑の一部も
金色です。

夜鳥子が使用するのも
晴明のも
蛾単体では同じものです。

Faint patterns can be barely seen on the upper side of the wings. No patterns on the bottom side.

Long hairs at the base of the wings. There are also tufts at the legs, head, chest and belly.

The scales are gold coloured. [Something I can't quite make out about the wings also being part green, part gold in colour]

[The last paragraph completely lost me. Something about similarity to regular moths?]

Second image:
毒蛾のあつまりの原型
少女(舞)の
白拍子姿
Concepts for poisonous moth
Little girl in dancing (prostitute?) outfit

Third image:
佐嶋氏・桝田氏箋注

こちらも小説のイメージそのままです。(佐嶋)阿修羅は蜘蛛だから本来は脚が8本なんだけれど、いつもは6本しか使わない。残りの1対を出すと暴走しちゃう、という設定になっている。丹は、白い姿が秘めている「赤さ」のイメージ、それと爆ぜるときにタンッて音がするという理由からだね。(桝田)
Notes from Sashima and Masuda

This is also an image straight from the novel. (Sashima) Asura is a spider and as such has 8 legs, but it only uses 6. The idea is that if it were to use the remaining pair, it would trip over itself. The vermilion colour represents the "red" image belied by its white body, plus it makes a "TAN--" sound when it bursts. (Masuda)

Last edited:
Thank You VERY much for Your generous help! Turned out that this wasn't as ground-breaking as I thought it would be (in terms of adding to the game's storyline), but it still indicates a very fascinating (if pan-cultural) symbolism. In case you are curious, the described moth-themed character is in fact called Tan (Chinese character "Red") and is as interesting as she is mysterious. Once again, thank You for your hard work and have a nice day (or evening)!

触覚、前翅の縁の一部も
金色です。
The antennae and a part of the forewings' edge are also gold colored.

触覚 is obviously a typo of 触. looks very much like , indeed.

夜鳥子が使用するのも
晴明のも
蛾単体では同じものです。
The ones(= moths) Nueko uses and the ones Seimei uses are the same as a single moth.

夜鳥子[Nueko] and 晴明[Seimei] (and also 舞[Mai]) are all proper nouns (characters'/persons' names).

Thanks for your corrections. Not the first time I mix up 緑 and 縁... Hopefully this will be the last. At least I've already learned to distinguish it from 剥 :p

Maybe one more question: how should the 毒 in 毒蛾 be specifically interpreted? Is it poisonous, as in you get sick or die when you touch or eat the moth? Or is it venomous, as in it stings you to inject poison? Or is the kanji not that specific, i.e. can it be both?

Last edited:
It can be both, as in 毒キノコ and 毒ヘビ, but 毒蛾 would usually belong to the former type.

Back
Top Bottom