What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Question Translation question

Jthom83

Registered
Reaction score
raku.jpg

Can anyone tell me what this means? Thanks!

Buntaro

運動不足
Reaction score
Yes it is 樂 and 楽.

For those who are interested in the origin of this kanji, it is a side view of people playing a Daiko, or large Taiko drum:

These types of drums were often played at festivals and came to be symbols of happiness.

In Chinese (the simplified form is 乐) it means happiness.

In Japanese it is used to mean relaxation.

There is a neighborhood in Tokyo called 有楽町 or Yurakucho, which means “place to have fun” or “entertainment district”. (This is similar to the use of the name 永乐路 or Yongle Road (road of eternal happiness) for a road in China.)

Last edited:

Buntaro

運動不足
Reaction score
I should have made it clear that 乐 is the simplified form (Chinese) for 楽 (Japanese) and 樂 (Chinese).

Jthom83

Registered
Reaction score
Very cool. Thank you! I found hat that this symbol on it was wondering where it might of come from.

Buntaro

運動不足
Reaction score
If it is stitched on a hat, more than likely it means matsuri or festival.

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
You may want to check the etymology of the kanji for 楽. I don't think its two drummers.

joadbres

八方凡人
Reaction score
Most kanji etymology stories are nonsense.

If you look at the oldest character forms currently available to us today, you might be able to make a decent educated guess as to the origin, but to state a character etymology as if it is an incontrovertible fact is irresponsible.

(Obviously, the above does not apply to the small percentage of characters which were created in comparatively modern times and have documented origins.)

Top Bottom