What's new

Translation question

Firenzo

Registered
26 Mar 2016
Hi Everyone,

Im just wondering if this Japanese kanji really means "defend",
捍 (defend) — Kanji dictionary — Red Finch Japanese Page

This one also means "defend" but it has a different Japanese character.
禦 (defend) — Kanji dictionary — Red Finch Japanese Page

when I use google translate, it also gives me a different translation.
defend => 守る

I am currently enrolled in an aikido class, and I am planning to make my own shirt, I want to put defend on my shirt design but I don't know what Japanese character to use.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Doumo Arigatou Gozaimasu
どうもありがとうございます

I don't think the first two are appropriate. The last one (守る) would be perfect. It means defend/protect. Also obey/follow. Any Japanese reader would understand what you're trying to say with that one.

Hi mdchachi and Toritoribe,

I guess I will be using the one from google because its more related to aikido since it also means obey/follow.

Thank you very for your help.

Note that a verb 守る CAN have those meanings in some context, but it usually doesn't mean so as a single word.

Note that a verb 守る CAN have those meanings in some context, but it usually doesn't mean so as a single word.

What I am really looking for is the verb so I think 守る would be fine. Can I ask what does it the る mean combined with the 守? I did a bit of research on "守", it means protect, defend, watch over and guard. So る is this like "to" protect?

Sorry for too many questions, I just want to get the Japanese grammar right.

Thank you.

What I am really looking for is the verb so I think 守る would be fine. Can I ask what does it the る mean combined with the 守? I did a bit of research on "守", it means protect, defend, watch over and guard. So る is this like "to" protect?

る is what makes it into the verb form of the word. Note this form would be "to protect" and not the imperative (command) form. I think this is better for your purposes because you are the one who will be protecting (not ordering somebody else to).

Okay, I understand how it works now.

Oh and sorry for posting this on the wrong section, I just noticed it now that it was moved in the translation section.

Thank you very much Toritoribe and mdchachi. :)

Japan is a highly context-driven language; the pronunciation of kanji is indicated by the characters around it, as there may be multiple ways the same kanji could be read.

Do you just want "Defend" on your shirt? Is there greater context for it (ie will there be other words, or a sentence, or just "defend" by itself)?

Japan is a highly context-driven language; the pronunciation of kanji is indicated by the characters around it, as there may be multiple ways the same kanji could be read.

Do you just want "Defend" on your shirt? Is there greater context for it (ie will there be other words, or a sentence, or just "defend" by itself)?

I will be making another shirt again, and I would like to use "Defend" by itself. 守 <= is this it?

, as already answered. The inflection changes depending on the conjugation form. (守 for "Defend." as an imperative sentence, for instance.)

Back
Top Bottom