What's new

Translation of the essence of the Yoshida Doctrine

Sergei

後輩
8 Sep 2017
Hi Guys! I'm pretty sure my translation is overall correct but could you please check?

Text: その路線とは、経済復興に重点をおき軍事力の保持は最低限度に抑えること、国の安全保障政策の基本をアメリカとの協力に求めること (具体的にはアメリカ軍に基地を提供し、そのアメリカ軍の力を借りて日本の防衛を図る) を骨子とする。

The essence of that policy (diplomatic line) was to focus on economic recovery and keep the military force (potential) at a minimum level as well as seek the U.S. military cooperation as a basis for national security policy (in particular, to provide bases for the U.S. military and to defend Japan with a help of the U.S. military).

Can 国の安全保障政策の基本をアメリカとの協力に求める be translated as to make (not seek) the U.S. military cooperation a basis for national security policy?

The original sentence is just アメリカとの協力 "cooperation with the US", and doesn't mention it's only military cooperation.
Also, it's 国の安全保障政策の基本アメリカとの協力求める, and not アメリカとの協力求める, i.e., it means "seek a basis for national security policy from the cooperation with the US". Thus, your second translation is closer to the original, except "military".

Back
Top Bottom