What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Translation of tales help

mrvonungarn

後輩
Reaction score
Hello!
I've got a strange addiction to Japanese books, I'm really enchanted by kana, when it's written and printed.
I'm an artist and book illustration is my biggest hobby, so I decided to make a book with many many illustrations and text in Japanese. Some tales and fairy tales, I think, is perfect material for illustrating. And what about text, I decided, 'cause I'm Russian myself to use texts of a brilliant Russian North's storyteller Boris Shergin (pronounced like share-geen), which are widely popular and beloved and quoted here in Russia, but due to some strange causes are unknown in Europe, Asia and America. His style is fun and ironical, he mixes common speech of seasiders and fishermen with archaic style of old manuscripts. His short stories about those seasiders are sometimes purely tragical (I cry each time I read a story of two brothers who found themselves on a small island in the sea with their boat washed away by sea storm, they neither didn't hang down their heads nor curse their cruel fate, they met their death quietly and proudly, and leave a versed account on their accident on a piece of wood, so this piece of wood lies for more than 150 years on that stony island, and every fisherman who passes by it takes his hat of and prays for the souls of two brothers, John and Andrew).
I'm translating another brilliant little story, a fairy tale "the magic ring". My Japanese is not very good, so I need a good person who would correct my translation and add to it more vividness, colourfull words, rural vernacular, which are found in original tales. I can pay with little pictures and cute post cards.
Peace.

ewww

I am Groot
Reaction score
Zdrastvuって, tovarisch!

Sorry for intruding, just have a question. Do You beleive that You knowlege of english language will allow to explain somebody how stilistically it should be translated to japanese?

"а королек все как котенок. Он с мала вралина был, рева и ябеда. Братья много из-за него деры схватили."

IMHO, Shergin's stories are very hard for understanding even for Russian people :)

BTW, GLHF

mrvonungarn

後輩
Reaction score
I think there's nothing impossible
using some dialectical forms etc
it's not an easy work but rather interesting

Top Bottom