What's new

Translation of some sentences from a Visual Novel

billybob300c

後輩
27 Feb 2016
I'm having trouble with this sentence: これだから、お堅い副会長は……

Is it like "This is why the student council vice president is strict..."?

So would it be like "It's because of this that the strict student council vice president is..."?
これだから shows that the topic (probably the vice president's action/behavior) the speaker is refering to is an example of their character; something like This is a good example that the strict vice president is...

The main character and student council VP, Ichika, has a friend, Futaba, who likes to run down the school hallways and cling on her out of no where because Ichika is cute. Ichika then says the following (I marked in red what I wasn't sure on, and I inserted some translations):

廊下を走るのは校則違反でよろしくない。
そんなことを言うと、周りでみているみんなから
「これだから、お堅い副会長は……」なんて
少し呆れた顔をされるのだけれど……
なにも間違っていないわよね

Running in the halls is a violation of school rules.
When I tell someone (or Futaba?) that they're violating
school rules
, others around watching will make
a somewhat bizarre expression at me, as if to say
"This is a good example that the strict student council VP is..."
...But I'm supposed to enforce the rules, right?

You've got the gist of it, but the translation could be improved to get the point across better. I would probably write it out like this:

"Running in the hallway is forbidden! Look, I know that saying this makes me sound like an uptight old hag, but I'm not wrong aren't I?"

I moved related posts to this thread.

廊下を走るのは校則違反でよろしくない。
そんなことを言うと、周りでみているみんなから

Running in the halls is a violation of school rules.
When I tell someone (or Futaba?) that they're violating
school rules
Nothing is mentioned about the person she is talking to.
The one who breaks the rules is not "them".

You've got the gist of it, but the translation could be improved to get the point across better. I would probably write it out like this:

"Running in the hallway is forbidden! Look, I know that saying this makes me sound like an uptight old hag, but I'm not wrong aren't I?"
Thanks lanthas and Toritoribe. I think I got it now:

"I know telling her to follow the rules paints me out
as a strict teacher to everyone else, but that's
part of my job as student council VP, right?"

Just for confirmation, do you just want to get the gist of the meaning in order to enjoy the story, or want to understand the grammar/sentence structure in order to learn Japanese? The answer, your translation is correct or not, differs depending on it.

Just for confirmation, do you just want to get the gist of the meaning in order to enjoy the story, or want to understand the grammar/sentence structure in order to learn Japanese? The answer, your translation is correct or not, differs depending on it.
Mostly the gist, but これだから、お堅い副会長は…… threw me off. I guess I should've added that the main character is saying those lines from a narration point of view and not speaking to anyone else.

"これだから~は…" is mostly an expression to complain about/be disgusted with "~". You need to guess what is omitted, for instance これだから、お堅い副会長は融通が利かない, to understand the meaning completely, but "an expression of complaining" would be enough to enjoy the story, I think.

Friend A is asking friend B for their contact info. What does ニャイン mean? Is that like cell phone? (I inserted a sample translation next to the quote.)

「メアド教えてよ。ニャインでもいいよ」「Tell me your e-mail. Cell would be fine, too.」

Friend A is asking friend B for their contact info. What does ニャイン mean? Is that like cell phone? (I inserted a sample translation next to the quote.)

「メアド教えてよ。ニャインでもいいよ」「Tell me your e-mail. Cell would be fine, too.」

Probably a fictionalized stand-in for or a humorous intentional mispronunciation of the messaging app "Line"

I moved your post, since the topic is the same. I think it's better to use the same thread, or make a new thread for each your question.

ニャイン must be the author's coined word, which is used to represent "LINE". (They would avoid using it due to copyright thing, I suppose.)
Line (application) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EDIT:
Ooops! Mike-san beats me!

Back
Top Bottom