What's new

Translation of one sentence

betterworld

後輩
27 Jun 2015
I want to write that "Because you didn't taste the meal I made yet, please don't say that it is surely not delicious or something like that". And I thought it must be something like that "あなたはまだ私が創っためしを食べてみなかったので[きっと美味しいじゃない]とかなんとか言わないでください." Could you say whether it is correct or not? If it is wrong, which parts are wrong? Thank you in advance.

創る is rather uncommon, in fact this reading is not in the 常用 list. It would be better to use the more common 作る, which is used for expressing the creation of small-scale physical things (like food) and abstract things (like a story). There's also 造る which is used for large-scale physical things like ships, and for brewing liquor.

"You didn't try the meal yet" refers to trying the meal in the past; I guess what you really mean is "You haven't tried the meal yet (but you're about to right now or in the near future)". Hence it should be まだ食べてみていない.

The negative of 美味しい is 美味しくない. きっと美味しいじゃない sounds more like "it'll definitely be tasty, don't you agree?" You can also opt to simply use the opposite adjective 不味い.

Apart from that the sentence isn't wrong, but it is rather verbose. In Japanese, obvious things are frequently omitted; maintaining the verbosity that you have to use in English makes Japanese sentences sound unnatural. Especially pronouns like 私 and あなた are so common and so easy to infer by the listener that the speaker will more often omit them than not. In this case, I know that you already know that I made the food, so I don't have to say 私が作った. Similarly we both know that you will be eating it, so あなたは is also superfluous.

Also, Betterworld, your original sentence is somewhat awkward, and I'm wondering if its better to just say, in effect, "don't knock it till you try it". There is a phrase that will come in handy if you head down this path: 食わず嫌い (hate it without having eaten it). Could be useful to you.

Another useful expression is "the -te form + もいないのに" or "the -masu stem + もせずに", meaning "(even) without doing".

私が作った料理を食べてもいないのに/食べもせずに/食べたこともないのに、美味しいはずがないとか言わないでください。

創る originally means "to create/found/establish/make for the first time", so it's often used for organization or something, as in 創立記念日 "anniversary of foundation" or 創世記 "the records of creating the world = Genesis".
e.g.
学校を創る: to establish a school
校舎を造る: to build school buildings
校舎の模型を作る: to make a scale model of school buildings

It's a bit late to reply your advices but thank you so much for your help. In the next time, when writing a sentence, I am going to consider them.

Back
Top Bottom