What's new

Translation of Miso bag

Surimilover

Registered
17 Jan 2017
Hello fellow forum members,
When buying miso at the Asian markets, I usually select the packaging with English writings since I cannot read Japanese. Today, I came across this bag that was $1 cheaper than all the other brands with English labels. Most of the miso packages with English labels claim that they use non-GMO (genetically modified) soybeans. Even though I already bought this miso, I'm still very interested in learning what the writings says. Any idea why it's cheaper?
Thank you in advanced for your help.

rUzY7Dp.jpg

BaMiJHL.jpg

It says where the miso was made, and it's "pure miso (not an adulteration)". It doesn't mention about soybeans.

The bag was obviously created especially for export, as the nutrition facts and the weight in pounds are part of the printing and not labels. Maybe they saved a buck a bag by not paying to have anything translated.

Those words just mean "additive-free", "organically grown" and "domestic (Japanese) soy beans", respectively. When genetically modified soy beans are used, it is required to label 遺伝子組換え or 特定遺伝子組換え as ingredients by Act on Standardization and Proper Quality Labeling of Agricultural and Forestry Products; so-called JAS Law, i.e., Japanese Agricultural Standard Law.

Those words just mean "additive-free", "organically grown" and "domestic (Japanese) soy beans", respectively. When genetically modified soy beans are used, it is required to label 遺伝子組換え or 特定遺伝子組換え as ingredients by Act on Standardization and Proper Quality Labeling of Agricultural and Forestry Products; so-called JAS Law, i.e., Japanese Agricultural Standard Law.

Thanks for the hint. I guess we just have to assume that most soy-based food products from Japan do not use GMO soybeans, since I have not encountered any product labels that specifically state 遺伝子組換え or 特定遺伝子組換え.

Thanks for the hint. I guess we just have to assume that most soy-based food products from Japan do not use GMO soybeans, since I have not encountered any product labels that specifically state 遺伝子組換え or 特定遺伝子組換え.

If I had to guess, i would guess that the correlation between "people who buy miso" and "people who give a rat's aśś about GMO" is so close to 1:1 that even if GMO miso were common in Japan no businessman in his right mind would import it to the U.S.

Back
Top Bottom