What's new

Translation of "Born to die"

Radoss

Registered
24 Jan 2017
Hey guys, can someone help me to translate as accurate as possible this phrase from english to japanese? Kanji would be most helpful! Thanks!

"Born to die"

Last edited:
I know nothing about kanji but still, why it's 3 different variations?

死にに生まれた
死ぬのために生まれた
死ぬように生まれた

I know nothing about kanji but still, why it's 3 different variations?

死にに生まれた
死ぬのために生まれた
死ぬように生まれた
Three grammatical constructions I know or to some extent familiar or just guessed.
1) masu stemu + に
2) verb + のために
3) verb + ように
It's not that strange to have different ways to express some thought in this or that language, is it.
"to do" "in order to do" "for the sake of doing" "with the purpose of doing" "because wanted to do"
You might have similar thoughts of expressing what you want to say in English, too, as well as in another language.

It's "verb + ために" or "noun + のために", i.e., 死ぬために or 死のために.
So I've been thinking about this a little. If I wanted to go for the very most literal translation, I would look at
死にに生まれた ... but I get an 違和感 looking at that phrase. I'm just a foreign learner of Japanese so that's not always reliable and I can't figure out why it feels wrong.

After all, you can say 買いに行った (went to buy) or similar so it seems like the '(verb) to (verb)' grammar matches. Maybe it's because (v-stem)+に+(v) implies a volition that 'born to die' doesn't...

Along those lines, does anyone know how 'Born to Kill' (from the movie 'Platoon' among other places) or 'Born to Run' (from the famous song) are typically translated?

So I've been thinking about this a little. If I wanted to go for the very most literal translation, I would look at
死にに生まれた ... but I get an 違和感 looking at that phrase. I'm just a foreign learner of Japanese so that's not always reliable and I can't figure out why it feels wrong.

After all, you can say 買いに行った (went to buy) or similar so it seems like the '(verb) to (verb)' grammar matches. Maybe it's because (v-stem)+に+(v) implies a volition that 'born to die' doesn't...

Along those lines, does anyone know how 'Born to Kill' (from the movie 'Platoon' among other places) or 'Born to Run' (from the famous song) are typically translated?
"Born to run"
明日なき暴走 - Wikipedia

That usage is constructed exclusively with verbs of motion, isn't it?

That usage is constructed exclusively with verbs of motion, isn't it?
Ummm. Maybe?

I can't think of an exception immediately, but as someone who has learned Japanese almost exclusively for reading and watching shows, my production skills are of course pretty terrible so what I can think up that sounds right to say doesn't really signify.

Ahh, well... 明日なき暴走 is an awfully liberal translation of that phrase, but thanks for point it out. I guess it only goes to show that 'Born to...' phrases don't really translate well and you have to go way out of the box to get the same feeling. (If you translated 明日なき暴走 back the other way, it would probably be 'Run like there's no tomorrow' or 'Running like there's no tomorrow')

に indicates the purpose of transfer, so the main verb is very limited, e.g., 行く, 来る, 向かう or 走る(助けに走る).

殺すために/走るために生まれた would be the most common one.

に indicates the purpose of transfer, so the main verb is very limited, e.g., 行く, 来る, 向かう or 走る(助けに走る).

殺すために/走るために生まれた would be the most common one.
Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to clear up my doubts!

Back
Top Bottom