What's new

translation of a prayer

MadamRed7

後輩
28 Apr 2015
Hello, I would like to know how to say "Bind the Devil In Jesus name and charge him to the pits of hell, never to return again." It's a prayer, thank you in advance. Also I would love the Romiji and Kana form too.
This is my attempt at "Bind the Devil in Jesus name." イエスの名悪魔名下にバインド
I would love to know if I was close :)

"Bind the Devil In Jesus name and charge him to the pits of hell, never to return again." It's a prayer
Wow...sounds like more of a curse than a prayer. I don't think you were close, except for the Jesus and Devil bit. And maybe the original should say "Jesus' name". A digression.
Liturgical Japanese is a specialized area - far, far removed from my own experience, but I'll give it a shot.
イエス様の御名で悪魔を束縛し
that's as far as you got, but I hope I'm closer to the mark. At least I have an object and a verb there, so it feels close. バインド might technically work, but it doesn't sound very biblical, does it. For the rest... you want to give it a college try and see what you can come up with?

Edit: You can figure out the kana and romaji renderings of the above by cutting and pasting into a search engine.

Last edited:
Wow...sounds like more of a curse than a prayer. I don't think you were close, except for the Jesus and Devil bit. And maybe the original should say "Jesus' name". A digression.
Liturgical Japanese is a specialized area - far, far removed from my own experience, but I'll give it a shot.
イエス様の御名で悪魔を束縛し
that's as far as you got, but I hope I'm closer to the mark. At least I have an object and a verb there, so it feels close. バインド might technically work, but it doesn't sound very biblical, does it. For the rest... you want to give it a college try and see what you can come up with?

Edit: You can figure out the kana and romaji renderings of the above by cutting and pasting into a search engine.
Lol the only one it's cursing is the Devil. Thank you very much. I'll keep working at the translation.

Also that's weird, I did not mean to put this!
イエス様の御名で悪魔を束縛し
This is the one I meant to put:
イエスの名下にバインド悪魔
I don't know how that happened. Is this close to what I wanted?

No. There there is no grammatical construction. Its just a string of words. Jesus' name, under, in, bind, devil. Are you studying Japanese right now, or are you taking a stab with the help of something like Google translate? It kind of feels a bit Googlish to me. And, as I said before, the word バインド is a modern import into the Japanese lexicon. You would not use it in the sentence you are working with.

No. There there is no grammatical construction. Its just a string of words. Jesus' name, under, in, bind, devil. Are you studying Japanese right now, or are you taking a stab with the help of something like Google translate? It kind of feels a bit Googlish to me. And, as I said before, the word バインド is a modern import into the Japanese lexicon. You would not use it in the sentence you are working with.
Oh I see! I totally forgot the honorific after the Lords name. I've been studying the language for a little while, but I'm 100% new to the writing. I find it a lot of fun so far, like exploring a new world! So mines is Jesus = イエス, no, name = 名; and you have イエス, then 様 = sama, then 御 = o and name.
Mine is: イエスの名下にバインド悪魔 = Jesus no name shimoni bindo akuma
Yours is: イエス様の御名で悪魔を束縛し = Jesus sama no o name de akuma wo taba shiba bakshi
I was totally unaware of all the slight grammar rules. At the moment I'm still trying to get the hang of Subject - object - verb style. Having a curious sentence like this is very hard. I wasn't sure if I should put sama after The Lord's name, or wo after the devil's. It was pretty out of my league. Thanks for all your help :)

御名 is slightly out of the ordinary and is pronounced gyomei. I don't know if its 100% necessary, but I liked the sound and look of it so in it goes. You need an object marker after your object so を is necessary. 束縛 is one word pronounced "sokubaku" (the two on-yomi of those kanji). Sokubaku suru is the verb "to bind".

Yes, biblical Japanese is out of most people's leagues. Certainly out of mine. If you are just beginning I would recommend laying off the bible until you are a lot more comfortable, otherwise the specialized language will be throwing up constant roadblocks. Good luck with the studies. You'll need to know the grammar before you can tackle translation.

Another reading for 御名 is "mina", especially when referring to the name of Jesus, Christ or God.

Use サタン for Satan, not 悪魔

It's sort of a moot point, though, since people have already millions of times asked God in Jesus' name to bind Satan and cast him into hell forever, never to return....so he can't possibly be here to need binding and casting to begin with. And since Hell is Satan's home anyway isn't this like asking God to put an electronic ankle bracelet on Satan and place him under house arrest?

Wow, thank you all so much for your help!
So this is the final sentence form:
イエス様の御名でサタンを束縛し。=
Jesus mina no o name de Satan wo sokubaku。
Looks good? :)

Wow, thank you all so much for your help!
So this is the final sentence form:
イエス様の御名でサタンを束縛し。=
Jesus mina no o name de Satan wo sokubaku。
Looks good? :)

No. The two versions you have there don't even match each other.

My wife is a Christian and used to liturgical Japanese. I've asked her input but she is at work and it will be a while before I hear back from her.

As promised:

イエス様の御名により、悪魔を縛り付けて地獄の底まで連れていき、二度と戻ってこれないようにしてください

Back
Top Bottom