What's new

translation of a manga

xyukikazex

後輩
7 Aug 2011
Hi everyone! There's a few words I don't understand in this page: http://puu.sh/bFrHE/91dee3b752.jpg
1. From this limited context, does ワンパターン mean "stereotyped"?
2. What does 守りに入る mean?
3. Does the が after 感じ mean "but"?
4. What do そうやって, 走る and 萎れる mean here?
5. Does アリ here mean "have"?

1)
Yes.

2)
conservative / buttoned-down

3)
That's the subject marker.

4)
like that
to go
to lose motivation
(萎る, not 萎れる)

5)
acceptable / possible / not bad

Thanks again Toritoribe :) So 定番はアリ in the context means something along the line of "it's not bad to follow social norm", does it?

I have a few more questions for today.

http://puu.sh/c3637/ae42cb514c.jpg
1. Does いっそ mean "rather do something"?
2. What might 愛美 mean by かませ犬にもならない?
3. I'm not sure how I should understand どうしてくれるのよ. Does it mean something like "what are you going to do for me now"?
4. Does the phrase 今に始まったことじゃない mean that the girls already know about お兄ちゃんのニブチン (the guy had been dense since forever)?

1)
Yeah, she thinks she would rather go on a long journey than go to school.

2)
杏子 can't be even a foil to ゾンビ女.

3)
That's right. What are you going to do for me about this?

4)
Yeah. 愛美 is asking confirmation about that; You already know that, right?

Sorry for the late reply and thanks a lot for the answer, Toritoribe. :)

Today I have a few sentences from a screenshot of a game that I saw on the Internet. Would you mind telling me if I get anything wrong in my guess translation?
ちょっと前まではさして珍しくもなく街を歩いていた人型ネコたち。それも今は愛好家が飼っているのを見かける程度になっていた。逆に不幸な人型ネコが減ってバランスが取れた結果で、人型ネコの飼い主として喜ばしいことだと思う.

My TL:
Until just recently, it wasn't even unusual to see humanoid cats roaming around the streets. It has changed to the point that one could now see enthusiasts keeping them as pets. This in turns resulted in a balance attained with less unfortunate humanoid cats, and as an owner of humanoid cats, I feel happy about the situation.

Also, what is the exact function of 逆に here? And 喜ばしいこと means something to be happy about, does it?

Thanks again for the confirmation, Toritoribe :) I didn't think I'd get it right in the first try.

Now I have another two questions.

1. The meaning of the first line won't change if I move 例の to right before 美人さん, right? My dictionary says 例の can mean "the usual" or "aforementioned", but I'm thinking that it means the latter in this case.
2. In this context, does 吹き込む mean "to spread a rumor"?

1)
Yes, that's right.

2)
More likely "to fill Chihaya with disinformation/false information".

Thanks again for the correction, Toritoribe :)

I have one question for today.

A to B: ――ねえ、だからさ、いいお店があるんだって
A to B: 一緒に行こうよ、な?
C: ちょっといい加減にしなさいよ!その子嫌がってるじゃない!!
A: なんだよお前
C: あなたこそ何!?こんな真昼間からみっともない!

I often see this kind of verbal fights between 2 strangers in anime and manga. Are these lines closer to "Who the hell are you?" or "What's with you?" in terms of nuance?

Hello again everyone! I have a few questions for today.

1. http://i18.servimg.com/u/f18/11/31/41/30/0211.jpg
http://i18.servimg.com/u/f18/11/31/41/30/0311.jpg
I need to ensure my vocab a bit. Does 売れる here mean "to be popular", and からって/だからって mean "just because"?

2. http://i18.servimg.com/u/f18/11/31/41/30/0611.jpg
This こんなもんだ/こんなものだ line seems to show up in every fictious story I've watched/read so far. Does it mean something along the line of "this is the way it should be"?

Also sorry for forgetting to reply. It's quite late for me to say but thanks a lot for the clarification, Toritoribe :D

Last edited:
1)
売れて(い)る means "to be popular".
Yes for からって.

2)
It's more likely "This is my skill" or something like that there.

Sorry for the late reply, and thanks again for your help, Toritoribe.

Now I have a few questions for today. Any help is appreciated.

There's a few words I'm not 100% sure about in the first frame. Is my translation below correct?
4の精鋭をバックに作詞作曲・ボーカル・ギターをつとめてらっしゃいます
"She's acting as the song writer, the vocalist, and a guitarist of the band, with 4 elites backing her up."

2. ミカエルさんが今度作られる曲は2コーラス必要とする曲
Does コーラス here actually mean "chorus" or does it refer to singers?

I'm a bit confused about the first bubble. Is the guy saying that his agency will arrange a meeting to discuss the details at their office, not discussing on telephone?

このバンドにいるよりもあっちに行った方がポチのために…
I'm curious about the presence of the particle も here. Does she mean her band is fine and all, but it's even better for ポチ to team up with the little girl?

1)
Yes.

2)
singers/vocalists

3)
Both are possible.

4)
も doesn't mean "too/also" there. よりも is an emphasized form of より.

Again, thank you so much for making it all clear to me :)

I have a few more questions for today.

1. Is the で at the end of two bubbles in the first frame the 連用形 form of だ?

2. To make sure I understand this page correctly, could you please check my translation for a few lines?

a) ボクが歌いたいって思ったのはアゲハちゃんがいたからで…
The reason I wanted to sing was because you were there with me...

b) アゲハちゃんの曲が好きだって…歌いたいって思ったからで…
And because I love your song... I wanted to sing it...

c) すごい人の所にいたいんじゃないよ…
I don't want to be with great people...

Does 不思議 mean "strange" in this case?

Sorry if my question sounds dumb, but does すごいいい mean exactly the same as すごくいい?

Your interpretations are all correct.👍

3)
Yes, strange, incomprehensible, unbelievable or like that.

Thank you again for the confirmation. I'm going to take a few notes :)

Now I have some more questions:

1. Does ああ in the third frame mean "yeah"?
2. Is it correct if I interpret the phrase あんな男としてどうしようもない奴 as "that failure of a guy"?

Does 待ちきれなくて here mean "cannot wait any longer"?

強引に引き裂かれてゆく絆
How would the meaning of the phrase above change if I replaced 引き裂かれてゆく with 引き裂かれる? I see the auxiliary verb ゆく/いく all the time but I still don't understand how it works.

1) 2) 3)
Yes.

4)
It indicates an on-going action. The action 引き裂かれる is already started and still continues (the gap is expanding). 引き裂かれる is a punctual verb(瞬間動詞), so 引き裂かれている expresses the current state (as same as 空が晴れていく vs. 空が晴れている).

Many thanks for the explanation, Toritoribe :D So that means ~ていく is the same as the present continuous tense in English, isn't it?

Just to be sure, I'm picking a few more lines from other sources. Am I interpreting them corrrectly?

消えていく…あたしの記憶が、思いが……どんどんなくなっていくよ
They are vanishing... My memories, my feelings... are fading rapidly...

飛行艇が、エーテルで満たされた雲の上を滑るように進んでいく
The flying boat is moving on as if it's sliding on the clouds filled with ether.

Also, this usage of いく is different from いく in 出ていく, is it?

Last edited:
Yes, in the first example. As for the second one, ~ていく has a nuance of direction; "going to the destination", and the last is "going away from the speaker/viewpoint", as opposed to 入ってくる "coming to the speaker/viewpoint". In fact, all these ~ていく have a nuance of direction. An on-going action can be considered to express the action in the time line (from the present to the future, for instance).

Thank you again for the detailed explanation. This grammar point has been the one I find the most difficult for years, but it's a lot clearer to me now :)

As for the second example, if translation is involved, I have a feeling that the nuance of direction will most likely be lost in the process. Is it possible to keep that nuance when translating similar sentences while still keeping the flow of the text?

Back
Top Bottom