What's new

Translation of 深く組み込まれていたのであってみれば in context

Sergei

後輩
8 Sep 2017
Hi guys! Could you please help me correctly translate 深く組み込まれていたのであってみれば in the following context: 分割占領を免れた代償として、日本はアメリカ圏のなかに事実上でに深く組み込まれていたのであってみれば、ほんとうのところは、道は1つしかなかった。

My own translation based on google translation: As a price for getting rid of division and occupation Japan was deeply incorporated into the U.S. sphere [of influence]. As a matter of fact it wat the only way for Japan to restore its sovereignty .

Or: There was only one way for Japan to escape from allied occupation - if the country deeply in reality embedded itself into the US sphere of influence

事実上深く組み込まれていた, not 事実上でに深く組み込まれていた

Your interpretation of 分割占領 is wrong.

のであってみれば is a bit roundabout, and のであれば is more common, but anyway the conditional is used for a past fact there as the meaning "because".

It doesn't mention in the quote whether it's "to restore its sovereignty" or "to escape from allied occupation". It's just "there was only one way for Japan". Only the context can tell which interpretation is correct (or both could be wrong).

Correction guys! It's not 事実上 but 事実上す:分割占領を免れた代償として、日本はアメリカ圏のなかに事実上すでに深く組み込まれていたのであってみれば、ほんとうのところは、道は1つしかなかった。
道は1つしかなかった. After this there is the following text: 中立的な国連はすでに紙のうえにしかないし、地域的な集団安全障機構に身をおくにしても、そのような実体はどこにもない。さりとて、単独で自国の安全を保障するためには、「再軍備」に対する内外の強い反対を押しきってでも、防衛力を大幅かつ急速に再建しなければならないが、それもかなうまい。とすれば、アメリカを中心とする「西側」の共同防衛体制のなかに身を委ねるしかないではないか。

So The price for Japan to escape from division and occupation was to incorporate itself into the US sphere of influence. There was only one way for Japan.

The initial translation is better.
The contents of "the only way for Japan" is not mentioned, so "There was only one way for Japan." is what is written there. Incidentally, the only way refers to アメリカを中心とする「西側」の共同防衛体制のなかに身を委ねること.
Again, it's 分割占領, not 分割と占領.

Ok, thank you Toritoribe!

Then I'll put it like this: As a price for getting rid of divided (?) occupation Japan was deeply incorporated into the U.S. sphere [of influence]. As a matter of fact there was only one way for Japan. And then following the text it becomes clear that the only way refers to アメリカを中心とする「西側」の共同防衛体制のなかに身を委ねること.

Yes, you got it. The first sentence is the cause/reason of the second sentence, i.e., it has a meaning of "because".

After Japan lost the war, one possible plan being discussed was to divide the country, assigning different regions to different Allies, as was done in Germany. But that ultimately didn't happen.

This is what 「分割占領を免れた」is referring to. I don't think that this is accurately handled by your current translation. At a minimum, you should change "getting rid of" to "avoided", "escaped", or something similar.

Back
Top Bottom