What's new

Translation Help

Wayne Denny

Registered
31 Jan 2017
I bought this flag from a shop in southern Japan many years ago when I was in the Army and stationed at Camp Zama. I have always wondered about the authenticity of it, but like the way it looks so it hangs on the office wall. Any help in translation would be great. Thanks!
FlagWeb_zpshdfar8nu.jpg

Attachments

• FlagWeb.jpg
    FlagWeb.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 144
It looks suspicious. On the top is the ubiquitous 祈武運長久 (Good luck in battle), only usually you see it oriented from right-to-left. In addition, you normally see the patriotic slogans, names, messages radiating out from the center, and not just placed at odd places around the circle. In the case of your flag, you have the ones below the circle are all oriented top-to-bottom and right-to-left (as is usual), but the ones above these are all oriented left-to-right. Makes my head hurt just looking at it. I can't say for sure it is a fake, because I've seen a lot of weird things before, but... like I said, it is suspect. The exclamation points add to the weirdness.

It looks suspicious. On the top is the ubiquitous 祈武運長久 (Good luck in battle), only usually you see it oriented from right-to-left. In addition, you normally see the patriotic slogans, names, messages radiating out from the center, and not just placed at odd places around the circle. In the case of your flag, you have the ones below the circle are all oriented top-to-bottom and right-to-left (as is usual), but the ones above these are all oriented left-to-right. Makes my head hurt just looking at it. I can't say for sure it is a fake, because I've seen a lot of weird things before, but... like I said, it is suspect. The exclamation points add to the weirdness.
I too have always been suspicious. I wondered if someone didnt take a flag, throw some Kanji on it and toss it on the roof for a bit to add some patina. Knowing that it's likely not authentic makes me feel much better about having it hanging on the wall in my office/mancave. thanks for the replies!

Back
Top Bottom