What's new

Translation help needed

Nildro-hain

Registered
28 Apr 2016
Hello!
Can someone help me to translate this sentence. It is from a book I'm trying to read (probably still too difficult to me) I can't understand it and it's frustrating.
自己への執着も他者への愛情も、その終結すら、自分にはあきらめるよりほかできないことを知って、悲嘆するよりも直江は、おのれという人間の、このどうしょうもない最後の真実にひれ伏すより以外、術がなかった。
What I know is:
自己 = self, oneself 執着 = obsession 他者 = another person, others 愛情 = love, affection
終結 = end, close すら = even, if only, just 自分 = oneself 悲嘆 = grief, sorrow
直江 = Naoe is the name of character 最後 = last, end 真実 = truth, reality ひれ伏す = to prostrate oneself before 以外 = with the exception of 術 = way, method, means

Please help and thank you in advance !

What is your translation of;

執着も愛情も、その終結すら自分にはあきらめるよりほかできない
and
直江は真実にひれ伏すより以外、術がなかった

?

Something like this (sorry if I'm all wrong):
Both obsession and love, even in the end there is nothing he can do but give himself up to them.
直江は真実にひれ伏すより以外、術がなかった
Naoe had no other choice than to prostrate himself before the truth.

I forgot to point out this, but there is a typo; このどうしうもない(not small ょ, but large/normal よ).

Both obsession and love, even in the end there is nothing he can do but give himself up to them.
You missed その, which refers to 執着 and 愛情.
You misinterpreted あきらめる.

自己への執着も他者への愛情も、その終結すら、自分にはあきらめるよりほかできないこと is the object of 知る.
The structure of the sentence is; Naoe realized that and 悲嘆するよりも、おのれという人間の、このどうしようもない最後の真実にひれ伏すより以外、術がなかった.

Thank you very much for pointing out the typo, it makes more sense now. Does あきらめる here mean 明らめる and not 諦める then or where did I go wrong? I think I understand now the latter part of sentence, but the first part is still somewhat difficult.

明らめる is a classical verb which is not used anymore. I've never seen it before, and I thought it's just your misinterpretation or something until I looked it up and found in the dictionary.
あきらめる is 諦める, meaning "to give up/abandon (both obsession and love)", but it can't mean "to give oneself up to~".

Thank you very much for pointing out the typo, it makes more sense now. Does あきらめる here mean 明らめる and not 諦める then or where did I go wrong? I think I understand now the latter part of sentence, but the first part is still somewhat difficult.
I think "give up to" may be misleading here, 斎藤和英大辞典 gives the translation "to resign oneself to".
愛情の終結を諦める may mean 愛情が既に終結したものと諦める
BTW, perhaps you know that 諦める originates from 明める.

BTW, perhaps you know that 諦める originates from 明める.
Oh, I didn't know that.
My interpretation is 終結すら/さえ諦めるしかない, i.e., he has to give up even closing/ending/finishing them.

I guess this is one of those series where it really doesn't matter too much which volume you start with....

Back
Top Bottom