What's new

Translation Help for Tattoo

Custo

後輩
16 Oct 2017
Hello
I'm currently trying to design a new tatto, and I realiaze this forum is Mostly for study realated questions, But I tried using google translate, and kept crossrefering alot of the words I had translated and alot came out different then the google translate, After this I tried to get some knowledge of the basic grammar via Free Japanese Lessons - Hiragana - The Japanese Alphabet (Hiragana Chart) - Learn to speak the Japanese language online for free!
But it kinda got me more confused then from the begining. because it's going to be permanent I would love to have some prof eyes on the case. I therfore need some help getting a few words translated, For me it's importen that they are corectly translated and that I can see the Kanji because it has major influence on the visuel design. In there are allso a couple of names wich will be collored Green.

Strong
Old-fashioned
Wise
Cook
Characteristic
Boxer
Drugs
Onwards
love
Creative
Killer
Sinner
Drugs
Loyal
Fear
Nature
Autaum
Spring
Reckless
Damaged
Maple street (this is a street name)
Anna
Lisa
Carl – Emil
Sophie

Beloved friends
Lost memories
The dead
The divine
Rose
Soul

feel free to ask about anything, Since I speak absolutly no Japanese and therefore do not know a thing about how to translate from english.

Last edited:
*** EDIT ***

Strong - 強い
Old-fashioned - 昔ながらの
Wise - 賢い
Cook - クック
Characteristic - 特性
Boksing - ボクサー
Drugs - 薬物
Onwards - その後
love - 愛
Creative - 創造的な
Killer - キラー
Sinner - 罪人
Loyal - 忠実な
Fear - 恐れ
Nature - 自然
Autaum - 秋
Spring - 春
Reckless - 無謀
Damaged - 損傷した
Maple street ?? メープルストリート
Anna ??
Lisa ??
Carl – Emil ??
Sophie ??
Beloved friends - 愛する友達
Lost memories - 失われた思い出
The dead - 死んだ
The divine - 神の
Rose - バラ
Soul - 霊魂

ummmm I'm not sure what you intend to do with that list of words... but I beg you not to

I wish to put them sall jappanese letters on all my excisting tattoos, This is a brainstorm of different words that could describe them. Why do you tell me not to?

Could you clarify, please? You are looking to get a tattoo, and you want to include one or some of these words in it? Your words are all over the place, and tattoos you can't read can be a dangerous proposition for a number of reasons.

hanzismatter.blogspot.com

I have multiple tattos, I made a brainstorm of words that could relate to those/describe them. I'm very fond of jappanesse and I want the tats to be so on personal, therefore the lang. The translations are my own Work. I have a friend who owns an inkhouse and we like Making visuel fun tattos, so we are thinking about merging the jappanessse letters with the already excisting tattos. But since I'm aware of the danger that you linked I wanted some eyes on it so I can see how the characters look visual and hopfully soon get the first of many characters merged :)

I'm having a hard time picturing what you're going for... you have a lot of tattoos already, but you want to add Japanese words to them as descriptive?

aside from the obvious reasons illustrated by the link I shared above, there are other reasons that make kanji tattoos ill-advised. Can you tell us why you want to do this? Why kanji in particular, why these words, and why apply them to tattoos you already have? Thanks

Styles with the Ink I have, I went and gave it a shot and I already printed my stensils, This is what I have. although we changed the idears around a bit(happens when you design tats). We are thinking about linking theyse words to the word soul. Idk I just realy like jappanesse styled tattos and I'm having a backpeace with a samurai it just adds up nicly to the style I have on my body. Is it importen that you know what I'm going for to translate? although please look on this pic and tell me what you think. Cheers :)

Attachments

• wadaaa.PNG
    wadaaa.PNG
    138 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
If you really like kanji and want a tattoo with them and you're already getting a tattoo of a samurai, why not just incorporate a native 4-character Japanese phrase? There are plenty of phrases that are quite meaningful, much moreso than getting a bunch of random words all over the place. Adding descriptive words to your already-finished tattoos (and not having them done by someone who has at least studied the language) seems to me like a recipe for disappointment. And from the images you've posted, for me it would be like writing some words and names in Zapfino or the Brush Script font in MS Word and pasting them randomly on my body. This is guaranteed to not have the meaning to other people that you are saying you want it to mean.

Ultimately, it's your body and you can do what you want with it; we literally have no skin in this game. So why would we tell you not to do this, other than out of genuine concern? We want you to have cool ink and not look foolish.

If you aren't interested in our concern for the quality of your tattoos, then please do share a photo with us, to use as an example the next time someone makes this kind of request.

Actualy I changed my mind, Since Nice gajiin obv had major influence on my decesion. I decided to say **** this homepage as it has not helped me one bit. Bye :=) ps. I already have the samurai

@Custo, I'm glad my words have had some effect on you, but it seems that you have taken offense where none was intended. We are honestly trying to help you by discouraging you from spoiling your tattoos with random descriptive text.

Japanese calligraphy can be a very beautiful thing, but the beauty is not from the words or the exotic-ness of the lettering, but from the artistic flourish and soul that is imbued by the writer, in much the same way that English hand-lettering can be beautiful. It's for this reason that I often suggest to people to consider writing their ink in a language they understand; if the idea of having tattoos of the words "drugs" or "characteristic" in English seems silly, there is no difference to us if it written in Japanese, or Korean, or Arabic, except that your peers may not recognize it immediately.

Kanji is particularly interesting because it isn't just describing a sound, but encapsulating a concept within a single character, and when combined with others, can form more complex meanings. A single character or a 4-character phrase, properly written by someone who studied shuuji, and drawn by a tattooist that understands the structure of the characters and how to apply that artistically to skin, could make for a beautiful tattoo--whether it makes sense to do so from a cultural perspective is a matter for another thread.

But I have yet to hear from someone that wants a tattoo in Japanese this level of appreciation for kanji, let alone willing to go out in search of a calligrapher to create a custom design for their tattoo; so many of them rely on google translate, web fonts, and their tattooist's stenciling skills, which we liken to sticking your arm under an inkjet printer. I believe this is because most people that want a kanji tattoo have not studied the language and developed this appreciation; the more one studies the language and understands and respects the culture(s) of origin, I've found it less likely that person would want such a tattoo. As such, I have yet to get any tattoos myself, but before I started studying Japanese, I admittedly once played with the idea of getting exactly the kind of tattoo you are now asking for. I am eternally grateful for the people that convinced me it was a bad idea.

So it's not that we poo-poo the idea of any tattoo using these characters, it's that the vast majority of people that come to us asking for translations lack the respect for the culture and language they're trying to appropriate. I hope that this sheds some light on why we aren't just giving you what you want.

Back
Top Bottom