What's new

Translation for "multiple layers"

Penny

後輩
Reaction score
Hi
I am writing an essay in relation to martial arts and I am trying to describe how kata has multiple layers, the basic movements, but then underlying that is the more complex interpretation of the techniques (hence, multiple layers). So far I have found the following translations: "multiple layers" = ikue. But also "multiple" = fukusuu, or baisuu. Also also I found "multiple layers" as fukusuu no reiya". Can anyone please tell me which is more appropriate for the context in which I am using it? Are any of these appropriate or am I way off track with this?
Thanks

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
I have doubts about "layer" being understood with the same figurative meaning as in English.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
I would use 複層性 fukusōsei/fukusousei.

johnnyG

先輩
Reaction score
Makes me think of this clip, and I wonder how "layers" was dubbed or subtitled:

Penny

後輩
Reaction score
I would use 複層性 fukusōsei/fukusousei.
I have one other that I have also struggled with. It is "personal space", describing the space around you that you are not comfortable with someone else entering. Again, I am probably just not looking at it the right way. Are you able to point me in the right direction? I have had a couple of translations but they just don't seem quite right.

Penny

後輩
Reaction score
Makes me think of this clip, and I wonder how "layers" was dubbed or subtitled:

Thank you! It has been a stressful couple of months working on this and this made my day :)

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
I have one other that I have also struggled with. It is "personal space", describing the space around you that you are not comfortable with someone else entering. Again, I am probably just not looking at it the right way. Are you able to point me in the right direction? I have had a couple of translations but they just don't seem quite right.
the transliteration version パーソナルスペース pāsonaru supēsu, 個体距離 kotai kyori or 個人的距離 kojinteki kyori