What's new

Translating "Which" Question?

Mew

後輩
20 Nov 2013
Hi, I just wanted to make sure if I am translating this correctly.
Just in case, I can only read: romanji, hiragana, and katakana. I'm still new to kanji.
So please make it into those three types of spelling xD. Thank you.

Anyway this is the question I wanted to translate (and this is just casual talk to a friend). So it wouldn't really matter whether if it's formal or formal, especially when I know the person very well.

Question: Which "Naruto" girl would you want as a girlfriend?
Info: Naruto is a popular anime, so I'm asking him which female character he would want.

This is my translation: Dono Naruto no onna no ko wa konajo ga hoshii desuka.

I'm not sure of the particles exactly. I thought "no" wasn't correct because it's a possession? Like Naruto's girl, rather than Naruto girl.

Anyway, I hope someone could give me the correct translation and grammar.
Thank you.

"Naruto no onna no ko" can make sense. There's no problem to use "no". The problem is in the choice of the two particles and the verb "onna no ko wa konajo ga hoshii". This sentence means "a girl wants a girlfriend", thus, your question is asking "Which Naruto girl wants a girlfriend?"

I would say ナルトのどのキャラを彼女[かのじょ]にしたい? or ナルトの中[なか]で、彼女にしたいのはどのキャラ?
(キャラ is a coloquial word referring to a character in a fiction.)

"Naruto no onna no ko" can make sense. There's no problem to use "no". The problem is in the choice of the two particles and the verb "onna no ko wa konajo ga hoshii". This sentence means "a girl wants a girlfriend", thus, your question is asking "Which Naruto girl wants a girlfriend?"

I would say ナルトのどのキャラを彼女[かのじょ]にしたい? or ナルトの中[なか]で、彼女にしたいのはどのキャラ?
(キャラ is a coloquial word referring to a character in a fiction.)

Ah ok thank you.
I'm a bit new to using "dono" in a question. I see that you said "Naruto no dono." Or using dono at the end.
Also I was wondering about Shitai. I learned Shimasu meant "to do [something]" but I was wondering how it is used in that case. Cause I think I may be reading it wrong and thinking it asks "Which Naruto girl character do you want to do?"

Though I don't think I might be using キャラ in this case since my friend is still learning Japanese as well, so I don't think he might understand the question. xD

Would saying: "Dono Naruto no onna no ko ni kanojo ga hoshii desuka" work?
I think it would translate as: Which Naruto girl would you want for a girlfriend?

-tai form of a verb
Usage
The i form has many uses, typically as a prefix. These include:
  • To express a wish when followed by the ending -たい -tai: 食べたい tabetai: "I want to eat it", 行きたい ikitai: "I want to go". (The -tai ending conjugates as an -い -i adjective.)
Japanese verb conjugation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dictionary has the entry "キャラ".
キャラの英語・英訳 - 英和辞典・和英辞典 Weblio辞書
Even if your friend doesn't know the word, he can look it up, can't he?

Again, the particles and verb are wrong. 彼女にする is almost a set phrase. Your sentence means something like "Which Naruto girl character do you choose, if you can have her have a girlfriend?"

Toritoribe;733012 said:
-tai form of a verb

Japanese verb conjugation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dictionary has the entry "キャラ".
キャラの英語・英訳 - 英和辞典・和英辞典 Weblio辞書
Even if your friend doesn't know the word, he can look it up, can't he?

Again, the particles and verb are wrong. 彼女にする is almost a set phrase. Your sentence means something like "Which Naruto girl character do you choose, if you can have her have a girlfriend?"

That would make sense though, wouldn't it? xD I mean it's similar to the question since it has the same answer in the end anyway.
Thank you.

No. Your translation is asking your friend to choose a Naruto girl character who can have HER girlfriend, not asking to choose YOUR FRIEND'S girlfried. This is not what you want to ask, right? This meaning is from your mistakes of choice of the particles and a verb(ni, ga and hoshii), as same as your previous translation.

Back
Top Bottom