What's new

Translating help needed

Atsukan

後輩
20 Apr 2003
Could someone please translate these phrases for me. I study Psychology in the US and I want to be able to explain things in Japanese to my Japanese friends who cannot speak English.

(1) You just do that because you want attention.

(2) I want attention.

(3) I prefer to live in denial.

(4) emotional pain

(5) I want people to like me.

(6) I want people to accept me.

(7) You don't want to face your own pain.

(8) You avoid your own pain.

(9) It's just my feeling, but I realize that it's not reality.

(10) She takes her problems out on me.

(11) blame

(12) critisize

(13) You are very critical.

(14) I need to resolve my problems.

I know this is a long list. Whenever someone can get the chance, I would really appreciate it :)

Originally posted by Atsukan
Could someone please translate these phrases for me. I study Psychology in the US and I want to be able to explain things in Japanese to my Japanese friends who cannot speak English.

Konnichiha Atsukan ! I don't think these are very precise translations, but I used to study psychology as well (and now Japanese), so maybe a native speaker can make any corrections.

(1) You just do that because you want attention.

Anata wa tada chuui wo hikitsuketai tame ni yarimasu.

(2) I want attention.

Watashi wa chuui wo hikitsuketai desu.

(3) I prefer to live in denial.

Jibun no kara ni tojikomitai desu. (I want to be closed from myself).

(4) emotional pain

Kokoro no kizu, kokoro no itami, kurushimi

Manna ni sukaritai desu. (I want to be likeable to everyone).

Minna ni ukeirerareru hoshiin (or ~~raretai) desu.

Anata wa jibun no kurushimi to muki wo kakutakunai desu. (Not sure on this -- sorry!).

(8) You avoid your own pain.

Anata wa jibun no kokoro no kizu wo sakemasu.

Tada kanji koto wa sore wa genjitsu de wa nai to omoimasu (or to shitte imasu).

Kanojo no mondai wo watashi no sei ni suru.

(Not an exact translation -- more like she blames me for her problems).

(11) blame

Sei ni suru

(12) critisize

Hihan suru

(13) You are very critical.

Anata wa totemo hihantekina hito desu.

(14) I need to resolve my problems.

Watashi no mondai wo kaiketsu shinakereba naranai desu. (Of course a number of ways besides must resolve, -- should resolve, have to resolve, etc). Good luck explaining it all to your Japanese friends. Hope this is helpful! 🙂

Kamaimasen! Watashi ni totte mo ii benkyou ni naru to omoimasu. (It's also instructive for me). Just hope someone else looks at it too. :D

Konnichiwa Atsukan-san! Elizabeth-san!

Elizabeth performed a good job. And I want to add a little correction.;)

Manna ni sukaritai desu. (I want to be likeable to everyone).

There is a little typo. This sentence is "Minna ni Sukaretai desu".

Minna ni ukeirerareru hoshiin (or ~~raretai) desu.

Yes, "Minna ni Ukeireraretai desu" is right. "want" is usually "hoshiin" or "verb + tai". In this case, "want" is "verb + tai" and is "Ukeireraretai".

Anata wa jibun no kurushimi to muki wo kakutakunai desu. (Not sure on this -- sorry!).

This sentence is "Anata ha Kurushimi wo Kao ni Dasubeki deha nai".
"You don't want to ..." is "Anata ha ... subeki deha nai". "...subeki deha nai" means a proposal of prohibition.
"face your own pain" is "Kurushimi wo Kao ni dasu". "dasu" has a lot of meanings. "show one's feeling" is one of them.

Tada kanji koto wa sore wa genjitsu de wa nai to omoimasu (or to shitte imasu).

Hontounoyou ni Kanjiru ga, Watashi ha Sore ga Genjitsu deha nai to Wakatte iru.
"just" is Hontounoyouni but not tada in this case. "Wakatte iru" is the same meaning as "to shitte imasu". But "Wakatte iru" is more suitable in this case.

Kanojo no mondai wo watashi no sei ni suru.

The exact translation of this sentence is "Kanojo ha Kakaeteiru Mondai wo Watashi ni Buchimaketa".

I hope this correction is helpful for Atsukan and Elizabeth.😌

NANGI

Both of you, thanks so much for your help.

Another question here, if you don't mind:

How do you translate, "You are too dependant on women" AND "You need to become more independant". ?

I have always wondered about those too. I know "dokuritsu" and "shikarishiteiru" can mean being independant, but I feel it is used differently in the way I want to use it. :confused:

Konnichiwa Atsukan-san!

"You are too dependant on women(girl)" is "Onna(Onna no ko) ni Tayorisugi dayo" in Japanese. "too" is "-shisugi" and "too dependant" is "Tayorisugi".

And "You need to become more independant" is "Motto Shikkari Shinakya" in Japanese. Yes, "independant" is "shikarishiteiru" and "become more independant" is "Shikkarisuru".

In Japanese, the ending of a words is different from one person to another. You can say "Shikkari Shinaito", "Shikkari Subekidesu", "Shikkari shiteyo" and etc... ;)

NANGI

Originally posted by NANGI
This sentence is "Anata ha Kurushimi wo Kao ni Dasubeki deha nai".
"You don't want to ..." is "Anata ha ... subeki deha nai". "...subeki deha nai" means a proposal of prohibition.
"face your own pain" is "Kurushimi wo Kao ni dasu". "dasu" has a lot of meanings. "show one's feeling" is one of them.
NANGI
Arigatou! Sore demo hitotsu mo shitsumon ga arimasu.

Anata wa jibun no kurushimi to mukiaitakunai no desu.
A. あなたは自分の苦しみと向き合いたくないのです。

B. "Anata wa kurushimi wo kao ni dasubeki de wa nai" wa imi ga chigau to omoimasu. Kao no face ni wa "Kao ni kanjou wo dasu" no youna imi ga arimasuka?

は意味が違うと思います。
faceには「顔に感情をだす」のような意味がありますか?

I think because my first one was incorrect it was kind of confusing desuga eigo de "You don't want to face your own pain" to iu kanji wa "You don't want (must not?) to show your pain" to iu kanji to chotto chigau to omoimasu. But of course it is good to know how to say both.
:)

Last edited:
Konnichiwa Elizabeth-san!

A. "Anata wa jibun no kurushimi to mukiaitakunai no desu".
B. "Anata wa kurushimi wo kao ni dasubeki de wa nai" wa imi ga chigau to omoimasu.

Oh, yes, you are right! My translation is a mistranslation! Thanks!

But my dictionary has some meaning to "want to", and "...subekidearu" is one of them.
An instance, "You want to see a doctor at once" is "Anata ha Sugu ni Isya ni Mitemorau beki da" in my dictionary. I think "Anata ha Isha ni Sugu Aitai" is right in this case, but my dictionary is printted another meaning. Which is right? or Both of them are right? Please tell me.

Kao no face ni wa "Kao ni kanjou wo dasu" no youna imi ga arimasuka?

Sorry, this is my mistake. Usually face has not meaning "Kao ni kanjou wo dasu". I mistake "Hyoumen wo Oou" for "Kao ni Dasu".

Thanks Elizabeth-san to correct me. Please tell me if I make a mistake.🙂

NANGI

Konnichiwa Atsukan-san!

"You are too dependant on women(girl)" is "Onna(Onna no ko) ni Tayorisugi dayo" in Japanese. "too" is "-shisugi" and "too dependant" is "Tayorisugi".

And "You need to become more independant" is "Motto Shikkari Shinakya" in Japanese. Yes, "independant" is "shikarishiteiru" and "become more independant" is "Shikkarisuru".

In Japanese, the ending of a words is different from one person to another. You can say "Shikkari Shinaito", "Shikkari Subekidesu", "Shikkari shiteyo" and etc... ;)

NANGI
Minnasan konnichiwa!

Ima made Skikkari toka Jiritsu toka Dokuritsu no youna kotoba no imi wo amari kangaetta koto wa nai keredomo 'Shikkari shita' wa 'Genki ni shita' no youna imi da to omoimasuka? Shikkari ni wa imi ga sukunakutomo futatsu arimasuka? Moushikanemasuga 'Shikkari suru' no choku eiyaku wa "become strong" mata wa "hang in there" toka "get yourself together" to iu kanji da to omottan desu. Tatoeba "Donna ni tsukarete mo shikkari shite kudasai" to iu fuu ni iemasuka?

Ippou de wa Jiritsu no imi wa Dokuritsu no to chigatte ni kanshite imasuga "Jiritsu" de wa naku "hanran wo okosu" toka "kakumei" toka ni tsuite hanasu baai wa "Dokuritsu" dake wo tsukaemasuka? Sore igai de wa dokuritsu to jiritsu to amari sa wa nai to omou kedo no desuka?

Tonikaku ima made sou naratte kimashita. Moshi "dokuritsu" de wa naku "jiritsu" wo tsukattara? Dono hou ga ii desuka? Dochira wo yuusen sasetara ii no kashira? Bun ya hito ni yotte chigau deshyoune. Zannen koto ni jisho dake de wa komakai tokoro made wa rikai dekinai. Sono koto ni tsuite kangaete mimasu.

Last edited:
I'm a little confused. What's the verdict on "You don't want to face your own pain?" What is the correct translation?

You guys are great. If it's alright to use Japanese fonts, please do so if you like. My computer can read them.

Originally posted by Atsukan
I'm a little confused. What's the verdict on "You don't want to face your own pain?" What is the correct translation?

You guys are great. If it's alright to use Japanese fonts, please do so if you like. My computer can read them.
Konnichiha Atsukan!

Sorry I don't have Japanese input on my computer, but I thought this one was closest. Now I'm wondering if "mukaiau" is just to face other people shouldn't it just be "mukaitakunai"?

Anata wa jibun no kurushimi to mukiaitakunai no desu.

As for "beki" and "subeki" I haven't come across it very much but I think it is just "must" or "should" as a participle or auxilliary verb in English. For instance these examples I found online:

Aubeki hito ni shika awanai deshou. (We won't meet anyone but the ones we should).
or
Ai-subeki hito ni Aitai no sa hito. (I want to meet the person I must love).

"Kao ni dasu" and "Kao ni kanjou wo dasu" on the other hand may be slightly idiomatic or somewhat uncommon expressions? Nangi-san please decipher these again for us.

:p

Last edited:

I post your reply to new thread about the meaning of Shikkari, and difference between Jiritsu and Dokuristu. Because your question and my reply is far from this first thread already.
Please look next post!

And wait a minute, about "Kao ni dasu", please. I need a lot of hours to write English.:p

NANGI

Konnichiwa Atsukan-san! Elizabeth-san!

Yes, "You don't want to face your own pain" is "Anata ha Jibun no Kurushimi to Mukiaitakunai no desu". It is "あなたは自分の苦しみと向き合いたくないのです" in Japanese characters.

"You" is "Anata ha".
"Don't" is "-nai".
"want to" is "-shitai". And "Don't want to-" is "-shitakunai".
"face" is "Mukiau". And "Don't want to face" is "Mukiaitakunai".
"Your" is "Anata no".
"own" is "Jishin".
"pain" is "itami". And "your own pain" is "Anata Jishin no Kurushimi". In this case, the subject is "you" and an object is "your own pain", and "Anata Jishin no Kurushimi" change to "Jibun no kurushimi".

And "Mukiau" is the same meaning as "Mukaiau".

Usually "beki" and "subeki" is "should" in English.

"You shouldn't speak so loud" is "Anata ha Sonnani Ookina Koe de Hanasubeki deha nai".
"You" is "Anataha"
"shouldn't" is "-subekideha nai".
"speak" is "Hanasu".
"so" is "sonnani".
"loud" is "Ookii".

And "must" is "shinasai", "must not" is "shiteha ikenai".
"You must not speak so loud" is "Anata ha Sonnani Ookina Koe de Hanashi wo shiteha ikenai".

"Kao ni dasu" and "Kao ni kanjou wo dasu" is "show emotion on one's face" or "look one's emotion".

"She looked her thanks" is "Kanojo ha Kansya no Kimochi wo Kao ni Arawashita".
"Kao ni Arawasu" is the same meaning as "Kao ni dasu".

NANGI

Usually "beki" and "subeki" is "should" in English.

"You shouldn't speak so loud" is "Anata ha Sonnani Ookina Koe de Hanasubeki deha nai".
"You" is "Anataha"
"shouldn't" is "-subekideha nai".
"speak" is "Hanasu".
"so" is "sonnani".
"loud" is "Ookii".

And "must" is "shinasai", "must not" is "shiteha ikenai".
"You must not speak so loud" is "Anata ha Sonnani Ookina Koe de Hanashi wo shiteha ikenai".

NANGI

Konnichiwa Atsukan-san! Nangi-san!

Eigo demo Nihongo demo (?) ippan ni sonna meireitekina kotoba no imi wa hanashishite to kikite no shakaiteki kankei ni yotte chigaimasune. Eigo de wa 'ought' ya 'should' ya 'must' ya 'have to' toka wa imi ga hiroku. Tatoeba jisho no reibun ni motozuite imasu:

One ought to take along a gift when visiting someone's house in Japan.
Nihon de hito no ie wo tazuneru toki wa omiyage wo motte (ikanakute wa/ikanakereba) ikanai desu.

You should read more books.
Motto hon wo (yomanakereba narimasen/ikemasen, yonda hou ga ii, yomu beki desu?).

Ippou de wa 'I must/have to read more books' to iu bun desuga. Motto hon wo (yomanakereba narimasen, yonde wa ikenai) to iu kanji wa "Watashi no motto hon wo yomiyoo (sp?) to iu ketsui wa hijouni katakatta" to iu kanji to onaji no youna koto desu. I must read more books, my determination to read more books is absolutely firm. But depending on the speaker "must" or "have to" can also sound like "I know I really ought to be reading more" or "I really should be reading more." etc.

Well, sorry in such a hurry. Chanto wakarimashitaka?

:D

I post your reply to new thread about the meaning of Shikkari, and difference between Jiritsu and Dokuristu. Because your question and my reply is far from this first thread already.
Please look next post! NANGI

Arigatou Nangi-san!
Zannen koto ni watashi no computer wa mada yomu koto ga dekinakute inai keredomo. 👊 (My computer still cannot read?)

Thanks reply, and of course I can understand your saying. Arigatou.🙂
And please tell me if you need roman letters but not Japanese characters.🙂

NANGI

NANGI
Konnichiha Nangi-san!

Sore de wane, doushite Nihongo Cabinet to iu hoka no forum wa moji ga chan to yomemasu wa Kono Forum no ga dekinai kanaa? Sono ue ni mae wa Hotmail to MSN no email wa Nihongo ga yomemashitaga ima wa kyuu ni Microsoft kara no torikaetta yarikata de dekinai mitai desu. Yoi setsumei dewa nakute character translation support ga kiete itasou deshyou. Sate chotto iradatasete imasukedo saigo ni wa issou Nihon ni ikitai saremasu.

👍

Last edited:

NANGI

Arigatou, Nangi-san. Shikashi hotondo wakatte mo machigai ga aruto omoimasunode suzoshi zutsu teisei wo onegaishimasu. Watashi ni totte nihongo de muzukashii (no?) wa bunpou desukara.

Kono goro nihon no hito to yoku deaenai desuga sono uchi ni kakeru yume mo tobasetakunai desu. Although I am not able to speak much with Japanese people these days, I don't want to let my dream of writing fly away in the meantime.
🙂

Elizabeth

Last edited:
Re: Need translation help too

I'm trying to translate this simple sentence. I understand most of the words, but not the meaning. Can anybody help? It's part of a lesson...

anata ha hontou ni ookii desu.

Thank You!
Arigato Gozaimashita!

"You are not that big" would be (あなたは)そんなに大きくありません. (Anata ha sonna ni ookiku arimasen.) "You are not big" would be simply (あなたは)大きくありません. ご参考まで。

I'd just like to add that the sentence may mean that "you have a big heart, are broad in perspective, generous, or large-scale as a human being," depending on what comes before or after it. Just for your information. :)

ありがとうございます、epigeneさん。 Somehow I figured that there was something there that I wouldn't have the slightest clue about; the sentence seemed too textbookish. I'm glad you mentioned that. 参考になりましたよ。

Back
Top Bottom