19 Aug 2015
I'm having difficulty translating this sentence:
デュエル・マスターズは遊☆戯☆王のパクリっぽいけど本当にそうだから困っちゃうねどうしたものかねいい加減にせえな

I've tried separating it out into three smaller sentences -
  • デュエル・マスターズは遊☆戯☆王のパクリっぽいけど本当にそうだから困っちゃうね
  • どうしたものかね
  • いい加減にせえな
And have tried translating them as:
  • "Duel Masters is a rip-off of Yu-Gi-Oh! but I am really embarrassed because of that"
  • "What should they do?"
  • "Straighten up and fly right"
But the whole thing doesn't sound right at all

It's 本当にそうだから困っちゃう, not そうだから本当に困っちゃう.
The subject of した is "I".
I would interpret いい加減にせえな as "Stop copying".

So would the first line be something like "Duel Masters is a rip-off of Yu-Gi-Oh! but really, that's (just) embarrassing, right?"?

Last edited:
だから indicates the cause/reason as in your initial translation and そう refers to デュエル・マスターズは遊☆戯☆王のパクリだ, thus, 本当にそうだから means "because it is really so (= because Duel Masters is really a rip-off of Yu-Gi-Oh!)".

I know it can act as a softener at the end of a sentence so I'm tempted to split it in two; "デュエル・マスターズは遊☆戯☆王のパクリっぽいけど" and "本当にそうだから困っちゃうね" respectively.
(couldn't edit my previous post due to 15 min limit)

Last edited:
It's a single sentence, and けど is an adversative conjunction, as you translated "but" in your initial translation.

So would the overall sentence be something like "Duel Masters is a rip-off of Yu-Gi-Oh!, but it's (just) embarrassing/annoying because it is really so. What should they do? Stop copying!"?

You missed っぽい in the original and "The subject of した is "I"." in my previous post.

The third sentence might be more likely third person's words "Stop saying such things (= saying デュエル・マスターズは遊☆戯☆王のパクリだ)".

I'm getting really confused, so is "どうしたものかね" mean't to be "what should I do?"

I'm still confused as to how this whole sentence is supposed to come together, what am I doing wrong with the first sentence?

If those are a conversation among three people, which is my current interpretation, the subject of した is "we". Or, the most convenient way might be to avoid denoting who the subject who should do is, just like the original Japanese sentence, for instance, "How should it be treated?".

what am I doing wrong with the first sentence?
"You missed っぽい in the original" can't be a hint?

So "Duel Masters is kind of a rip-off of Yu-Gi-Oh!, but it's (just) embarrassing because it really is (a rip-off)"?

question: where did you get this?

Because it's curiously similar to a "coded" message in a game except with the two names replaced, so either the person writing this was riffing off the original or you've taken the time to replace the game names for some weird reason.

I googled and found this site before posting my initial reply. It seems that the sentence is appeared in an anime, which is written in code/alphabet called デジ文字.

EDIT:
Oops, I didn't realize it's actually デジモンはポケモンの in the site I linked, not デュエル・マスターズは遊☆戯☆王の.🤦 So, nekojita-san might refer to this sentence, too?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom