What's new

Translate in general to tell what this is about

doitsugo

後輩
Reaction score
Guys,
Could someone please translate in general (see 2 screenshots) to tell what is about and if there is an artist name or it's rather a place of manufacture?
Thank you in advance.

Kind regards

Attachments

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
The first one is a product insert describing "Aizu-nuri", which is a type of lacquerware. The second one describes the design of the item, which is a specific kind of lacquer technique ("makie"), used in this case to depict a poem from a famous anthology of poems from Japan's early history, called the "Manyōshū".
Linking to the lacquer shop here. There is a name on the insert - Sōbei (3rd generation) - but I think this will refer to the proprietor of the lacquer shop/workshop rather than to the individual artist who made the pieces.
会津塗 福西惣兵衛商店

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
The theme of the makie is the autumn plants/flowers appeared in the man'yō poems, not the poems themselves.;)

doitsugo

後輩
Reaction score
Thanks for great pictures. Ist it a kind of project?
Kind regards

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, the website was my project, for a company that sells these name stamps all over the world. I ended up doing all the photography used for the site, as well as edited much of the content (so I guess I'm to blame for mistakes and innacuracies).

You can learn more about hanko here: About Hanko - Hanko Square

doitsugo

後輩
Reaction score
Thank you so much. Really very interesting and sophisticated!
Kind regards