What's new

transitive and intranstive

hashy

後輩
Reaction score
I am trying to understand transitive and intransitive verbs, even though i learned them last semester, still having problems comprehending them.

私は皆を集まる。
I will gather everyone.
皆が集める。
Everyone will gather.

友達が起きる。
Friend will wake.
友達を起こす。
(I. you, someone) will wake friend.

The examples above are written by me so i want to know if i got them correct. 自動詞 and 他動詞 are very difficult to master and understand. Even though i am almost an advance student i am still having trouble with them.

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
They are correct.

Yesterday when I looked at your profile it said you are a female in Australia and had a different flag than the one it has today. Today you're a guy? Did you change your profile or am I imagining things?

hashy

後輩
Reaction score
They are correct.

Yesterday when I looked at your profile it said you are a female in Australia and had a different flag than the one it has today. Today you're a guy? Did you change your profile or am I imagining things?
I am Australian and male. Currently not in Australia (Is the flag based on ip address?). I haven't touched my profile since well, when i created my account if i recall correctly.

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
I am Australian and male. Currently not in Australia (Is the flag based on ip address?). I haven't touched my profile since well, when i created my account if i recall correctly.
Okay, thanks. I must have confused your profile with someone else's.

Yes, the flag is based on IP.

raikado

先輩
Reaction score
私は皆を集まる。
I will gather everyone.
皆が集める。
Everyone will gather.
These are reversed. 集まる is the intransitive one and 集める is the transitive one.

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
These are reversed. 集まる is the intransitive one and 集める is the transitive one.
Nice catch! I would have sworn they were the other way around when I saw them.

hashy

後輩
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction. I am not familiar with those two verbs as i just learned them, so i got them mixed up. Also is there an easier way to distinguish is a verb is transitive or intransitive without dictionary look ups?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there's no fixed rule, but transitive verbs often end with す, as in 起きる vs 起こ. (There are many exceptions, though.)